Question: left palm numbness with off and on left eye pain

vseidler - Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 am

Hello, yesterday I had on and off pain behind left eye, with some minimal pain so far today. Last night my left palm began to have some numbness to last 2 fingers and part of palm, and its still here today as well.
For the most part I am in good physical shape/healthy. I am also 21 weeks pregnant. Prior to pregnancy, I did not typically get headaches, athough have had some headaches the last 4 weeks of pregnancy, but normal headaches, not just the left eye pain that I have now. Ive had previous back issues for over a year, usually felt as sciatica in right leg due to slightly herniated disc/bulging disc. However, I saw a Physical therapist for a month and pain has decreased to almost 0 in the first time since it started 8/07. Im worried about the palm numbness sensation, seems weird to have.
thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:53 pm

User avatar Hi there -

I suspect the eye pain and the hand numbness are coincidental most likely. While they could conceiveably be related, it is highly unlikely. While pain behind the eye is an occasional complaint, usually without any obvious or significant cause (sometimes a sinusitis), the numbness in your hand is precisely in the ulnar aspect, which means the ulnar nerve is being compressed somewhere between your cervical spine and the elbow. This is not uncommon,and since you have a history of lower spine disc bulge anyway, it may be that you're prone to this sort of thing. Usually this ulnar neuropathy will resolve on its own, but if it doesn't you might want to bring this to the attention of your doctor, since sometimes orthopedic manipulation can resolve it also. Since you're pregnant and this is not an urgen matter, it would be better not to try and treat it medically right now. If it is still going on after you've had your baby, then you'll certainly want to persue it further, but for now, if it doesn't get better on its own it's probably best to limit any treatment to physical therapy, especially if the location of the impingement can be found.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|