Question: Cerebellopontine Degeneration

kvsrao81 - Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Dear Doctor,

My mother passed away in Aug 2008 at the age of 48. She used to be very active and working hard until the age of 40. She started walking in an unusual way(like drunken people - little shake while walking) after 40 years. She periodically loose strength in her hands. She felt down at the age of 42 and one of her leg fractured. She got an operation and Doctor's kept steel rod for her fractured leg. She was walking with the help of an iron stand and she didn't gain her energy back. She was walking with the help of an iron stand until the age of 46. She again felt down and another leg got fractured. She got an other operation and Doctor's kept steel rod for her other leg. she was in a situation where she couldn't walk with the iron stand. At least two guys have to help her to get her to the rest room and back. I got to know from the doctor's that she was suffering with "cerebellopontine degeneration" and they told me, her next stage would be "cerebral atrophy". When she get into that stage, she couldn't able to remember us. She got that disease from her mother. so it's a Hereditary problem. 3 of her own brothers had got that disease and 2 of them were died early at the age of 47. They were faced same type of problems as she faced. Her elder brother still running his life with that disease. He didn't fell down yet. He is just crawling and sometimes he is not able to digest food. He is very very weak and lean. one of his daughter got that disease recently one year back. she was just 36 years. Now she was walking like my mother when my mother was at the age of 40-42 years.

Apart from that disease, my mother also had cold and asthma. she used to inhales the tablets whenever she felt she was not able to breath. She was died as she couldn't able to eat food at her last stage. she was passed away in Aug 2008. After seeing her from the past 8 years. I felt very unhappy with that disease.

She has two younger brother's and one younger sister. they didn't get this disease as of now. but in future if they get disease, their families have to face lot of problem.

do we have any medicine in the medical dictionary for this disease?

Please help me saving our life's.

Please tell me, if you need any extra information about this disease.

Thx & Regards
Venkat
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:03 pm

User avatar Hello Venkat -

Cerebellopontine degeneration is a progressive degenerative brain disease and at this time I'm unaware of any curative treatments for it. The care is almost exclusively symptomatic and supportive. Some patients, however, do seem to do better, for a longer time, than others, which is something of a mystery.

New therapies are being discovered and developed every day for various diseases once thought to be incurable, so as long as your mother's siblings have not yet developed this disease they may benefit from future advances in its treatment. They also may not all develop the problem. I certainly hope they don't.

I wish I could tell you something more positive, but at the moment, so far as I am aware, that's the status for this problem. Again, this could change at any time, so do keep track of any possible breakthroughs.

Best of luck to you and my deepest sympathies to you on your mother's passing.
Good luck to you and your family.

|