Question: tingling in arm and fingers

barclaycat - Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:33 pm

I was getting blood taken for insurance. When the tech put the needle in my arm it felt lie a bolt of lightening just hit me and I almost fainted. I since have had tingling and numbness in my arm and fingers, my wrist has hurt. I can't type and anytime ireach for someting I get very bad pains in and up my arm. Did they hit a nerve? Hit a tendon? It has been very seroius I can't work and life has been very difficult. Please give me some advise on how I may make this better and what type of doctors I should be seeing and what test I should have donme to determine the problem.

Thank you in advance for your help
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 pm

User avatar Hi there -

It seems you've experienced a very rare and highly unpleasant event: traumatic nerve injury due to phlebotomy (blood draw). It would seem the phlebotomist struck and possibly damaged a nerve in your arm. While it may resolve on its own, it also may not, which means you should be seen now by someone who can determine the extent of the injury and if it can be treated. Probably the best type of specialist to evaluate this injury would be a neurologist (or a pain specialist, who may happen to be a neurologist anyway). This should be done promptly, as the longer the nerve is inflamed the more likely the problem will become chronic. Short term relief for the problem may involve having to take some sort of medication to block the pain and help restore some of the nerve's function.

Best of luck to you with this. Please follow up with us here.

|