Question: Vertigo, neck pain, change in migraine patterns

VigilanteSilver - Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Back in May, I spontaneously developed what I believed to be a tension strain in my neck. I have sought varying treatment: acupuncture, acupressure, massage, physical therapy, hypnosis, rest, ice, heat, etc. etc. etc. trying to get rid of the pain. I've now been put on muscle relaxers, then valium, trying to get the muscle to relax.

Shortly after the onset of the pain, I started getting severe episodes of vertigo, where the room will spin and I'll have severe nausea. My inner ears have been looked at and nothing seems to be the matter.

This weekend a frightening new development occurred. The pain in my neck flared up, the eye, teeth, and jaw on that side began to throb, and I got the vertigo again. Afterwards I felt very disoriented and confused.

I am having difficulty getting the imaging and evaluation I require because of insurance and the backlog at the dr. office. I guess my concern is where I go next. I am exhausted by the pain, I hate taking pills, and am frightened to drive because of the sudden onset of vertigo.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 pm

It is possible you're suffereing what's known as cervical vertigo, which is caused by derangement of the normal architecture of the cervical spine. This, of course, would also be accompanied by neck pain and range-of-motion issues involving the head and neck. There can, of course, also be abnormalities of the small vessels serving the brain stem, arteriovenous malformations, that can cause this sort of syndrome, but more often it is directly attributable to some cervical injury. These can sometimes be difficult to detect, and a neurlogist probably would be the best qualified to diagnose the problem, even if it is essentially an orthopedic problem.

There is a medication available over the counter which can often help control or at least minimize the vertigo. It is called meclizine and is also available under the brand name Dramamine (non-drowsy formula). It's worth a try while you're waiting to be seen by the doctor.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed. Best of luck to you.

|