Question: Sudden Pressure Drop in Head/Uncontrollable Shaking in Left

GlennA1962 - Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:55 pm

I am a 46 year old male. Over the past 3 days I have had several instances where I feel as if there is a sudden change in the pressure in my head. No pain, just a sudden feeling of a drop in pressure and slight light-headedness.

Yesterday while watching a movie, my left arm and hand began to shake uncontrollably. No pain while this happened. It started out quite mildly but then became rather intense. I was surprised and found myself "willing" it to stop to no affect.

If I pressed my index finger and thumb together, the shaking became quite severe. After about 20 minutes, it subsided.

Today my arm feels fatigued as if recovering from an intense work-out.

This has never happened to me before. I am from Canada and currently live in China, so finding quality medical care is possible here, but usually expensive.

I would like to know if I should just wait to see if anything like this happens again, or if I should see someone.

If I should see someone, is there a general direction I can point them in? Since it does seem to help over here to know a bit about what you are looking for.

Thank you for your help with this.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm

While reading your post my first thought was intrasinus pressure changes due to a blockage, but with the definitely neurologic symptoms that followed the onset of the head pressure drop sensation, and especially the intention tremor caused by your provocative test (pressing thumb and forefinger together), you will need to be evaluated by a neurologist. There are a number of possible causes for this, the most prominent being multiple sclerosis (MS), although that is only one of the possibilities. It's one you'll want to rule out (or in) so a management plan can be laid out early on.

Your best direction pointing would be to describe the onset exactly as you've done here in your post. This should get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|