Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache, Light-Headedness, and Muscle Pain

siren625 - Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 am

First and foremost, thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this. I'm a 23 year old female, smoker, who's in generally good overall health. I do smoke, but it is honestly less than a pack a day. (I swear!)

Anyway, approximately a year ago I was standing outside talking when everything started to fade out and become white (if that makes sense) and my mother's voice became muffled and incredibly distant sounding. She immediately helped me into the house and sat me on the couch and within a few minutes I was slightly shaken up, but no worse for wear. Since then the same sensation has happened a few more times, but with far less severity and a much shorter duration. (2-5 seconds, max)

I brushed it off to being overly tired or some sort of effect my pollen allergies were having until recently. On August 23 I was sitting on the couch, reading an article online, when a large, fuzzy spot clouded the center of my vision. Assuming it was eye fatigure I closed the laptop, only to find the problem to get worse. Within ten minutes my vision was reduced to something that's very hard to describe, but giving it my best attempt was something of a ring. No perefrial vision, no center vision, but sort of a ring. Also, in the center there were squiggly lines of a sort and a near instant sensitivity to light. I immediately went to lie down in a dark room and quickly succumbed to what I can only assume was a migraine. The pain began at the base of my skull and felt as though someone had stabbed me there and began to radiate into my eyes. (predominantly on the left side) Since then this headache as stayed, varying at times in intensity, but is always persistent. Also, it seems to be on sort of a schedule as it intensifies at night. Just of this weekend though, I've began developing a sort of vertigo with a very, very mild form of confusion at times. I suppose confusion isn't entirely accurate, but I seem to go through brief spells where I'm having a harder time concentrating. These pass quickly, but I felt should be noted.

Now, this all sounds somewhat like an aura migraine, but I have one other sympotm that is the most recent addition (within the last two weeks) that I'm not sure is related or not. At night, right as the headaches seem to intensify the muscles in my entire body seem to sieze up uncontrolably. The pain seems to come in waves and usually affects single parts of my body more intensely at various times. The pain is always there, but it feels as though electric shocks are being sent through a leg, my spine, an arm, etc...It is such immense pain that I've been taking Flexeril 10mg (the generic) that I was perscribed approx two months ago for a torn muscle. The medication seems to dull the intense muscle pain to the point that I'm able to lay in bed, as pressure from anything makes it worse. Even with the Flexiril, which put me to sleep the first time I took it, has been unsuccessful in creating any sort of significant relief. It's almost as though I'm able to sleep only once exahustion overrides the pain at around 3-4am, though I wake up at the latest by 9am from the pain once again. All the while, battling the intesnse headache and senitivity to light.

I know this is long, but I also think it should be noted that I have had one cousin pass away at 12 from a brain aniurism and another have a golf ball sized cyst removed from his brain at approx 6mos old. I'm not sure if this is relevant, or if the muscle pain is relevant to the headaches. They could be two seperate issues. Either way, it is affecting my school work and I've become incredibly lathargic, which I can only assume is due to insufficient sleep. I haven't spoken to a doctor about this and I suppose I'm wondering if this is worth a trip to the doctor and if so, what should I bring to his attention. Please note, the physician I've recently been seeing isn't exactly worried by much and short of going in there bleeding, I've never been able to receive much attention to any problem I've had. Any advice on what this could possibly and/or how to phrase this so I'm taken seriously would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:20 pm

I apologize for the late reply. Yes I think you should be examined by a doctor as soon as possible. While your symptoms do fit migraine with aura the fact that you have all the typical aura as well as the intensity of your complaint requires that we rule out anything serious first. This is done first by clinical examination and if needed a CT/MRI of the brain.

Please keep us updated.

|