Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache for the last 9 weeks

rami - Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:14 pm

9 weeks ago ( I was 6 weeks post partum) I woke up with a splitting headache that has not gone away since. 24/7, it's always here and no meds are working.

1 week after the headache, I lost a bit of sensation in my left hand and had a stiff neck and since then, I have black spots in my right eye. I was admitted into the hospital under suspecion of mennigittis, only to find out 3 days later, they contaminated it.

I have had a blood patch (because of 2 spinal taps and having an epidural), seen 2 neurologists, chiropractic care, trigger point injections, accupunture as well as the DHE45 treatment. I even paid for lyme testing that has come back negative. I am now planning to head 800 miles away for a headache clinic. I have had labs, MRI's, MRA, MRV and CT's that supposedly all showed just fine, that is....

Until today when I got a report from my last MRI from 1 month ago. The neurologist at the time told me it was fine, but now I am seeing that there is information that shows things may not be fine. Can anyone tell me what this means and what my next step(s) could be? I was just told today that I will be losing my job if I don't come back soon.

....There is a single subcortical white matter lesion in the right frontal lobe. There is a focus of the T2 hyperintensity in the right central pons.

MRI cervical demonstrates normal aligment of the spine. There is minimal intervertebrak dusease at the c5-c6 level with mild disck ostephyte complex.... At c5-c6 there is disc osteophyte complex asymmetric to the right, midly indenting the thecal sac withut significant stenosis.

Could these findings be the cause of my headache since no headache medication works?

Any help is beyond appreciated!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 pm

The MRI findings are difficult to interpret without the doctor's point of view and your complete history to consider. The white matter lesion is something that is often seen as a "wear-and-tear" matter only, although it can be associated with any number of progressively more serious issues as well, up to and including multiple sclerosis (MS). However, it seems most of the disorders associated with these lesions don't have headache as a prominent feature. There are a few rare ones which might cause this under rather specific conditions. It would be worth a look, for sure.

On the other hand, the cervical osteophytes, innocent as they seem in the report, could be causing pressure on some structure which could be causing the headaches. This is not, in itself, especially serious, but the constant headache is enough to warrant a full investigation. Either abnormality could, conceivably, be causing the problem, and you certainly deserve some sort of diagnosis and effective treatment of the constant pain. Hopefully the MRI findings (where the white matter lesion is concerned) are on the lower end of the scale of seriousness, but whatever it is, it needs to be explored. You may find the cervical spine problem is the true culprit, but you'll need some sort of pain management either way.

Please follow up with us regarding this once you know more. Meanwhile, try and take some comfort in the knowlege that you may at last be on the trail of what's causing the intractable headaches. We'll look forward to hearing more. Best of luck to you.

|