Question: Strange Burning/Tingling Sensation in hands and feet

ahyatt3 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 pm

I cannot pick up anything cold with out intense pain in my hands. Immeadiately pins and needles. I can spend the day cooking and my hands go numb, and I mean numb. This has been going on for quite a while, but recently my feet have began to do the same. It's quite annoying and painful. Any suggestions?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 pm

You need to be evaluated for possible Raynaud's syndrome, an autoimmune condition which causes the capillaries in the extremities to constrict, causing the symptoms you describe. There are ways of managing the problem, and it is almost always triggered by cold, but also by smoking and pretty much anything else that will cause the small vessels to constrict (normally). The nose is also often eventually involved.

Since I touched on smoking I would be remiss if I didn't say that if you are diagnosed with Raynaud's (which certainly fits the symptoms to a "T"), you absolutely cannot smoke (if you do. If you don't you mustn't start).

This is the most likely explanation for your symptoms, although there are, of course, other possibilities. This one must be ruled out ASAP to avoid damge to your fingers and toes. In the meantime, please try and avoid contact with cold objects and exposure to cold temperatures (wear gloves, for instance, at least).

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us.

|