News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: success rate of GHE45 4 day tx for intractable migraine

luvcthateba - Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 am

what is the success rate for DHE 45v for 4 day 4x day, with depakote 500 mg bid, baaclofen, and visteril q6h, with xanax in hopsital via picc line for intractable migraine?

erin
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:51 pm

User avatar Hello Erin -

While I've been unable to find any refernece material which quotes even an approximate success rate for the treatment you're asking after, I do know there is significant enthusiasm for it in cases of intractable migraine and cluster headaches, so long as the protocol isn't interrupted because of a reaction to any of the medications involved. I've seen the "short version" of this done in the ER, and have also found that the occasional patient admitted for the multiple-day combined course of treatment seems to come away from it greatly improved and sometimes with lasting improvement, although migraine does recur with these patients.

This is the most I can tell you: that it seems to have been well worth the aggravation in the few cases with which I've had some direct exposure, and that the doctors involved seemed quite enthused about the prospects for not only breaking the status migraine but also for overall long-term improvement of the problem. Perhaps someone else here at The Lounge is more familiar with the protocol and how successful it is in a larger population of patients.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here