Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Tilting my head back causes vision and hearing loss

RachelBWare - Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 pm

It also produces the most intense head pain imaginable on demand and eventually i will collapse. I suffer with the head pain daily and believe that the symptoms caused by tilting my head back have something to do with it. I have never been able to lay on my stomach and look up at a TV or even a book. As Ia child I suffered with severe symptoms that we now believe could have been basilar migraine. It leveled off into an intermittent migraine condition but this year I began to have headaches of varying intensity every day. Some progress into migraines that require a trip to the ER since the cause very high BP loss of consciousness and can go on for days untreated. I don't get much relief from migraine medicines other than the obvious drug induced sleep. If the headache is particularly bad though I will wake with it still. While my daily headaches are not as severe initially they most often become migraine scale without narcotic pain relief early on. The biggest problem is that I am developing a tolerance to the pain meds so they do not work in lower doses any more. I really want to find a doctor who can tell me if the abnormal reaction to having my head tilted back could point to the root of the problem. At the very least I feel that they are a problem in themselves.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:37 pm

While it would seem there are two different things going on (the headaches and the inability to comfortably tilt your head backward) the two could be related, since both involve the blood vessels (especially the basilar artery). There may be an anatomic abnormality which causes the impingement of blood supply to your head/brain when you tip your head back (a not terribly unusual problem), and this may also be contributing to the headaches.

A neurologist should be consulted with an eye toward determining if there is need for additional consult with a vascular specialist, as there may be either a skeletal or blood vessel malformation involved, and whatever is causing this, it needs to be diagnosed and proper management begun.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|