Question: Fingers straightening problem

sai kumar - Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Doctor Sir,
For the past fifteen days my right hand fingers are straightening within few seconds when they are kept normal. Due to this I could not do my regular work in time. This problem results in

1. Difficult in writing
2. Difficult in operating mouse. (Taking more time for clicking and fingers are paining)
3. Difficult in operating keyboard. (Mostly using left hand)
4. Dfficult in using calculator.(Wrist tilting to right side)
5. Right hand fingers found straight during walking.

Please advice to overcome my problem and become normal.

Thanking you,
Sai kumar
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 pm

What you describe sounds most like one of two problems often caused by repetitive motion injury and both are common in people who use computers a great deal (both keyboard and mouse): trigger finger/thumb and/or carpal tunnel syndrome. Certain types of spasticity are seen in both conditions, and, especially in trigger finger or thumb (or both at once) there is difficulty in bending, rather than straightening the digits, and they tend to feel "stuck" in the extended position.

While these conditions are often helped by physical therapy or simple ergonomic adjustments to the work area, if the problem becomes severe or long-lasting sometimes it needs to be corrected by means of minor surgery to help release the tendons involved.

You should be seen by an orthopedist to determine if this is the problem (which seems likely). It's entirely possible, at this stage, that some exercises done at home may be able to correct the problem, at least temporarily.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|