Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Constant headache, nausea, fatigue

nescrew - Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 pm

19 year old female
No surgeries.

I use to have headaches a lot 2 years ago, I got pregnant and they disappeared. Although I did have one episode during that time where I had a seizure. I had an EKG or EEG? Not sure, and it came back slightly abnormal. So I was given Keppra for that but it was discontinued.

Now it's been 6 months since I've had my son and the headaches have come back full force. I went to the ER (2 weeks ago)with a 9 hour severe headache and the Dr. told me it was a cluster headache, which was treated with an hour of oxygen. I had a cat scan done and it came back negative. I was given 2 pain meds and phenagan? for my nausea. I haven't had a headache like that again, but I have had a constant dull pain not exactly in my temples but around that area and in the back of my head. I am very nauseas, I never feel full. My right eye seems to be twitching every few hours or so.

Maybe I should also throw this in, I was in an accident in 2003. I was hit by a city transit bus I had multiple contusions.

I am not pregnant, I thought that could be it. I took a blood test today so that's out.

What could be causing all of this? And what/who could I see for it?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:32 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Headaches in general are some of the most difficult things to diagnose. While your initial severe headaches fit either the cluster or migraine pattern, including the nausea (Phenergan is a really effective anti-nausea drug that can make one feel very drowsy in some cases). The residual chronic headache, nausea and other symptoms, though, are more difficult to pin down. It would be hard enough in person, but is really difficult, of course, at a distance.

I would suggest this: a CT scan won't reveal nearly as much going on inside the head as an MRI would. Now that you're no longer pregnant it would be perfectly OK to have an MRI of the brain, which could at least rule out most serious causes of this. A complete physical and neurological workup might be in order, since you did have an abnormal EEG once, in the past.

This is about as far as I can take the process via this route. A second EEG and an MRI of the brain, as part of a neurological consult, would seem to be in order. This may wind up being one of those annoying things that never get accurately diagnosed, but all the resources certainly haven't been exhausted as yet.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

|