News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: The Left Side of my face stayed numb after collisio?

ronangally - Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:06 am

I picked up a sports injury which involved a clash of heads between another player and me. I came out of it the worst with a pretty nasty black eye, and swelling to that side of my nose but did not visit the doctor as I had not been un-consiece and figured there was no point.

That happened 6 days ago. My eye healing up pretty well, however I have numbness from my eye, down along my nose, to my lip, including half the left half of my top lip. Its not particulatly sore, however I still have pain and throbing in what feels like a nerve between my eye and the bridge of my nose.

I also see stares now and then when I strain my eye to the left or down, and I have been spitting out small amounts of blood after I blow my nose, or sneeze.

What do you think the problem is and how serious? Any help appreciated.

Ronan
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:43 pm

User avatar Hi Ronan -

It sounds as though you may have suffered a facial fracture (not much to be done about that therapeutically, as long as there is no deformity -- can't splint your face). When this happens, most of the symptoms you describe can occur over a week or two following, including damage to one of the sinuses, and often subsequent compression of some branch of the facial nerve. All this usually resolves over time, and almost always the sensation is regained as well. There's really not much to be done for it unless the affected sinus becomes infected or if something is dislodged or broken loose inside it (very unusual). If the symptoms resolve on their own then it will need no further attention. Sometimes, over time, calcium can build up inside the sinus at the site of the fracture (if there is one), and this can cause sinus problems down the road. It might be useful to have a CT scan of the sinuses just to know what the story is in there, but I'd bet on nothing other than perhaps a hairline cheekbone fracture. There may also be swelling of the affected ethmoid sinus and/or the orbit of the eye, which would cause pressure and "stars" when you try to roll the eye toward the outer limits of its range. Again, if this doesn't resolve in short order, a CT or maybe even MRI may be needed, as you don't want anything impinging the eye's freedom of movement.

With any luck this will all resolve on its own in another week or so.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up here as needed. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here