Question: peroneal neuropathy pain

ilovtudraw - Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi i have lived with peoneal neuropathy pain for 2 years now. I take many pain medications to try to deal with the pain. But it dosn't seem to help all that much. I have been going to Johns Hopkins for a while and they have failed to bring back my nerve or to get rid of the pain. So since most of my pain is in my ankle i was thinking that the only other option is to live with it or to get rid of my ankle. Meaning do you think it would be a good idea if i could find a doc to amputate my leg below the knee? I know this sounds crazy but i am at the end of my rope!!.

Thank you,

ilovtudraw
October 30, 2008
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:59 pm

Fortunately there are less invasive ways of killing intractable nerve pain. You'd have a pretty hard time finding a legitimate doctor willing to amputate on the basis of pain alone (even though I can totally empathize with how you must feel about now). If all pain management measures have been tried and failed. there is one thing that might be done -- and even this, as simple as it may seem, would come with a lot of wrangling and debate first -- and that is to inject the nerve with alcohol (there are now also more sophisticated means) to ablate it, leaving the area numb. This is considered undesireable but is sometimes done in extreme cases. Yours may be such a case. Another potential side-effect is loss of some function of the part served by the ablated nerve, but since you're ready to have the leg removed, you might well be amenable to living with some loss of function if that were to happen. This is something you'd have to discuss at length with a doctor, but it's a whole lot more realistic a goal than having the leg amputated -- and probably would work a lot better for you in the long run.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed. Good luck with this.
 ilovtudraw - Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 pm

John,

I know what you are talking about and Johns Hopkins don't think that is a good idea. And the thing you were talking about loosing function of my foot i have maybe less than 50% already. My foot is kinda useless its in pain and on the discovery health channel they showed a guy that had both of his feet amputated because of pain. I just think that using a prosthetic would help me more than my foot right now. I am on so many pain killers that i really have no life. I really feel that it is extremely weird to even think about asking a doc but i really have no other options. They say i will have to like with this pain the rest of my life. I also have to already wear a brace for the rest of my life so i don't how it could hurt it could only help.

Thank you for your reply.

|