Question: Tingling and lightheaded with nausea

Kwilliams630 - Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:25 am

Hello doctor,
I am having some symptoms that are concerning me greatly. For the last few weeks i have been having tingling and "electrical sensations" throughout my entire body. Starting a day ago i have become light headed that is accompanied by nausea. The Nausea seems to get worse when i move my head. My head feels almost "heavy" if that makes sense. Any insight as to what could be causing these symptoms? I appreciate your time greatly, and thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:53 pm

User avatar Hi there -

There are a number of possible causes of the sort of symptoms you describe, from complex migraine to focal seizures to MS. The important thing right now is to get a differential diagnosis via neurological workup. While this is unlikely to be a life-threatening problem, it certainly could be disruptive and possibly disabling if not managed correctly. Face-to-face neurological survey, EEG, MRI of the brain, possibly electronystagmogram, etc., as well as appropriate bloodwork, these should help narrow down the field of possibilities so that a treatment or management plan can be developed and implemented.

I know this is a rather vague answer, but it's because those symptoms overlap so many possible causes. I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 Kwilliams630 - Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:05 am

Thank you so much for your time i am truly grateful. Since my post i have had a ton of blood work and and MRI of the the brain and C-spine. Blood work was negative and MRI was normal. The nausea only lasted a few days but i am still having the tingling and electrical sensations throughout my body however now they come and go. My mother has MS, and i also had an MRI 2 years ago with these symptoms before, is it possible that it is to early for MS to show up in an MRI? After the normal MRI results my doctor just kind of said, "well come back if it ever happens again", I felt like i was written off so to speak. Also would you recommend seeing a neurologist? I have had all of these test done through my PCP. Again thank you for you time
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:43 am

User avatar It is possible for MS to not show up on intitial MRI of the brain and sometimes to never show up there. In some patients the lesions show up on the spinal chord instead. It is a very frustrating disease to try and diagnose, and of course, this may not be what's going on after all, but since you've now had the appropriate workups it's pretty hard for a GP, especially, to come down on the side of a concrete diagnosis. It would definitely be in your best interest to have a neurologist work you up. You should provide the specialist with all the records of the tests that have been done so far, and there may wind up being more, and it's possible you still won't have a concrete diagnosis, but you'll likely get more insight from someone who specializes in central nervous system problems. I'd definitely go that route.

Thanks for your prompt followup. Stay in touch.

|