Question: POTS SYNDROME

darby - Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:30 pm

I am a 50 year old woman. 2 years ago I was passing out about 15 times a week. I was a very active woman. Jogging, gym 4 days a week, walks every am. for over 25 years. My weight was always 115-120, 5'4. sparkling eyes and a beautiful smile. Married for 21 years, healthy realtionship with husband and family.
I lost all my hair 4 years prior to the POTS. no explanation. I went to the Cleveland Clinic and all tests were perfect. The hair on my head was all that fell out. Eyebrows, eyelashes still there. I a year of injections in my scalp my haor returned. i still have patches but they are small but always there, no big deal, no stress i just figured it is what it is.
Now fast forward to 2005 and I start passing out for no aparant reason. I am constantly exhausted, my eye sight is getting really bad, my blood pressure is 76/51. When I have an episode my heart rate goes sky high and drops fast and so do I. any suggestions from anyone that may have this syndrome as I am the only person in my area that seems to have this and all my specialists have just about given up. No cure so i guess i have to just deal with it. The blood transfusions, the iron IV's the daily B-12 shots, don't stay with me long. soooooo anyone know something that may help?
Thanks,
Darby
 sarahmarie43 - Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:37 pm

I have POTS too, and I am going to Vanderbilt in January for more tests. I have no idea what could have caused your hair loss, but keep trying with your doctors. Do you still have a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic? They are supposed to be really good with POTS. Do you live in Ohio? I have a great doctor in Toledo. If not, try to get into Vanderbilt. They are the experts. I wish you the best. Don't give up.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:16 pm

It would be more useful if you can inform us about the results of your blood tests that include CBC and Endocrine tests like thyroid function tests, sex hormone level including testosterone. The reason and the results of colonoscopy would be also helpful.

Loss of hair, alopecia may occur due to temporary causes like stress, nutritional problems, and as a medication side effect or permanent due to hair dyes, or dandruff.

Alopecia may occur due to different types of hormone imbalance, they may be associated also with blood pressure changes.

-Androgenic alopecia associated with increased level and/or sensitivity to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a derivative of the male hormone, testosterone.

-Thyroid function abnormalities may also cause loss of hair as well as blood pressure.

Anemia and low blood counts causes loss of hair too. Simple blood tests can confirm the diagnosis. Since you have anemia, this could be the cause, but identifying the underlying cause of anemia as well as exclusion of other causes is essential.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Please keep us updated.

|