Question: trigeminal neuralgia diagnosis, could be a tumor?

blessedmomof2 - Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:34 am

I have NF1, was recently diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia after severe facial pain. Although the pain was intermittant, it lasted much longer than the typical seconds to 2 minute pain described in the medical literature. I have also experienced ringing in ears and some sporatic vertigo over the past year. I was referred to neurologist but will have to wait 3 weeks for my appt. I'm concerned I may have a tumor and am scared about waiting the next three weeks and not knowing. I'm being treated with Lyric which is taking care of the pain.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:41 pm

The trigeminal neuralgia could be caused by a tumor, at least one of the sort related to NF1, although the fact that Lyrica is controlling the pain suggests this may not be the case. While the pains are usually brief and stabbing in nature, there are always exceptions to every rule, and there are people who have longer-lasting pain, although it is always intermittent. If there were a NF1-related tumor, it would at least most likely be benign, and would more likely be something of a mischief maker than a threat to life. However, this should be explored and, if possible, ruled out. It does seem fairly unlikely, but since you have the NF1 diagnosis already, that increases the possibility somewhat.

Hopefully by now you've been seen and this has been cleared up. I hope you'll update us regarding this. Best of luck to you.

|