News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling in Toes

Singergirl - Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 pm

I am 20 years old and don't have any medical problems that I know of. I have noticed this when i got out of bed in the morning but then it would go away but lately this has been not going away over the course of the day. When i walk or apply pressure to my left food, I get a tingling sensation in my toe next to my big toe. Is this something I should be concerned with? My grandfather had Raynauds disease. Should I be concerned about that or could I just have some vitamin deficiency?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am

User avatar Hi there -

While your concern about Raymaud's is certainly warranted (it can run in families), it's not something selective (wouldn't occur in just one toe, plus there is always blanching of the affected digits -- just in case you ever have this happen). Besides, since it is a specific toe and is triggered when you put pressure on the toe or your foot, it is almost certainly due to a nerve being compressed. Since it's only one specific toe, the compression point is fairly far down, either in your leg, ankle, foot, or maybe even the affected toe. If it becomes really annoying or if the toe becomes numb or seems to want to bend under on its own (spasm) you'll need to have it checked by a neurologist. There is a lot of weight borne, even in very petite people, the farther down the leg you follow the nerves, so this sort of thing is fairly common. The trick is figuring out where the compression of the nerve is taking place. If you do find it doesn't resolve on its own, the best way to determine where the impingement is located is to have a nerve conduction test done. Hopefully it will resolve on its own before that happens, and one way to possibly help correct it is to try gentle stretching exercises that involve the whole leg (sitting on the floor with the legs extended, and reaching for your foot slowly, bending at the waist, putting traction on the whole leg). Sometimes this is sufficient to correct the problem.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here