Question: headaches, dizziness, nausea, numbness

juli1004 - Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi My name is Juli... I just turned 24 years old. the dizziness started 2 years ago. I was never to had all the test done by the doctor because i didn't have health insurance back then. it was very hard. I have a slight of disability so i recently got a free health insurance. since then, i have been seeing a primary doctor frequently. I was told by my doctor that i might have anxiety or depression so she refer me to a therapist which i go every once a week. I recently started get headaches also. it gets worse usually every night. my dizziness starts usually after i finish eating. whenever i go to the doctor and when they check my blood pressure it's always been high so my doctor prescribe me a high blood pressure medication and causing me side effects so i do not take it anymore. my doctor also tried me taking a zantac and claritin but the symptoms got worse and my doctor told me to stop taking it. all the test i done so far it's normal. Finally, my doctor decided that i should get a CT head scan done and go to see a neurology but the neurology appointment won't be done until next month. i had the CT head scan done and my doctor told me that there's some sign of sinus in my CT scan. my doctor told me she wants to do another blood work which was thyroid and hormones i think. I recently got the worse symptoms that i never had. I started to have back pain, body aches all over. i had nausea, very bad dizziness and headaches. what more test could my primary doctor can do for me? my doctor is exausted trying to find what is wrong but still nothing. i'm desperated to know the answer. I am getting worse every day. i'm only taking a tyenol for my pain but nothing change. I will be talking to the doctor soon when she call me back. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm

User avatar Hi Juli-

It does sound like you probably have a deep sinus blockage with infection that's not draining properly. It may not be this, but everything else fits this picture. The dizziness might respond to meclazine (brand name Dramamine Non-Drowsy Forumula). It would be worth a try and wouldn't hurt anything. Also, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (like ibuprofin -- Advil, or naproxyn -- Aleve) would probably be more effective at managing the headaches. Hopefully the blood work you have done will include a simple complete blood count (CBC) to help determine if there is an infection going on.

The neurology appointment makes sense, and may actually help even if the problem is sinus related. I hope that will help determine what's going on. In the meantime try the above mentioned over-the-counter medicines to help manage the symptoms better. Good luck to you and please keep us updated.
 juli1004 - Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 pm

the meclizine you mention I have tried that but it never work for me and the ibuprofen really helped my headache but i had a stomach pain even though i ate with food. the doctor told me to stop taking it. the neurology doctor possibly think that the headache is due to migraine headache so he prescribe me a elavil and imetrex but the imetrex doesn't cover by my health insurance so the pharamacy put on hold so that they can contact my doctor. so far, elavil isn't working yet but i'll have to wait and see. i'm going to the primary doctor today for a follow up.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:54 pm

User avatar Elavil may help some, but Imatrex would be more effective for sure. Hopefully you can get it worked out so that your insurance will cover it.

Stay in touch and keep us updated. Best of luck to you.
 juli1004 - Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:22 pm

I went to see my primary doctor and I started to have a backache so my doctor check it out and I did a x-ray I still have to wait for the result. i didn't have a bad pain in my back when i saw my doctor but when i had to go somewhere with my family i suddenly have a really sharp back middle pain. my headache was okay. back of my head was still hurting but my back is so painful and my knees I can't really walk well.
what's your suggestion?? I will be calling my doctor and see what the result shows.
even though i had backache when i had the flu i had a lower back pain but this time it's in the middle and upper back.

do you have any suggestion that i should mention it to my doctor??
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:58 pm

User avatar My only suggestion at this distance and with limited information would be that you explain to your doctor, in detail, the symptoms you've had involving both headache and back pain. Try and be as specific as possible. These symptoms may be completely coincidental, or they could be the herald of some unspecified neurological problem. If the doctor is aware of the changing nature of the symptoms along the single pathway between the head and lower spine, this may help him to recognize or at least rule out any potentially serious central nervous system problems. There seem to be no generalized symptoms, so this may all be moot, but it is best to rule out as many things as possible.

Please follow up with us after you've seen the doctor again. Good luck to you.
 juli1004 - Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:26 pm

My headache is gone but now i'm having a a lot of pain in my upper back and middle back pain. i never got injured on my back before. I had back pain last time with the flu but this time it's different. I'm having more pain that i never felt it before.
this is completely new to me.
I haven't had headaches for several days now since i took the imetrex.

is it possible to have a back pain even if i wasn't injured??
my legs gets numb too.
I could hardly sit down because it hurts so bad.

help?????????????
I'm still waiting for the doctor to call me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:57 am

User avatar Glad the headache is gone now, but sorry about the back pain. It is entirely possible to have muscle inflammation in your back without having experienced any physical trauma. Just as flu will cause some pretty awful backaches, tension and other things (including other viral infections) can cause this. The leg numbness does suggest possible sciatica, which could somehow be related to the back pain, but the doctor really needs to get in touch with you. If you don't hear from him soon, it might be wise to put in another call. You don't need to be dealing with all this pain for no good reason.

Please let us know what the doctor says.
 juli1004 - Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 pm

I got a call saying that i have a urnary tract infection. could that be related to my backache?? i haven't talk to my doctor yet. she's not there until friday so i have to call her back. I'm still waiting for the xray result that i did last friday....
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:55 pm

User avatar It absolutely could! That could explain a lot, actually. Wow. Thanks for this update, and please follow up with us once you've been seen, as well.
 juli1004 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:44 pm

I speak with my doctor finally and the x-ray I did she told me that there's nothing wrong. She's running out of options, but she wants me to come in. I hope to see her on the dec. 30th. she has a full schedule so i have to double book it and i still have to wait for the clinic to call me. In the meantime, my doctor told me to put hot pack on my back it did help but once i stop, It came back. I'm also started my period this friday so it's even worser.
Do you have any suggestion that i should ask my doctor when i go see her in a week??
or could it be related to my urinary tract infection??
or could it be something else??
I am taking the antibotics for the infection...
My doctor is concern what she should do.
 rharha - Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:37 pm

BLACKOUTS.
I HAVE HAD MANY SPELLS SINCE AUG,2008. SOMETIMES THERE THE SAME SOMETIMES NOT. I JUST BLACK OUT FOR A FEW SEC THEN WHEN I COME AROUND MY HEAD FEEL STRANGE. MY HEART RACES THEN I PASS-OUT AGAIN. WHEN I COME AROUND I START TO SHAKE AND SWEAT. I FEEL SICK TO MY TUMMY. THE LEFT SIDE OF MY FACE TINNGLES AND SO DOSE MY LIPS. I ALSO HAVE EXTREAMLY COLD HANDS AND FEET. THE LATEST SPELL I HAD TO CALL THE EMTS. THEY FOUND ME ON THE FLOOR. MY SUGAR LEVEL WAS 43. WENT TO THE HOSPITAL. I TOLD THEM I THOUGHT IT WAS LACK OF SLEEP. FOR MONTHS NOW I CANT SLEEP NO MATTER WHAT MEDS THEY GIVE ME, IT FEELS LIKE THE BRAIN DOSE NOT WANT TO REST. THEY DID ALOT OF TESTS ON ME. CANT FIND ANY THING REALLY WRONG. I HAVE DEVELOPED HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND LOW BLOOD SUGAR THIS YEAR. AT NIGHT TIME MY HEART RACES AND I HAVE A DULL PAIN IN MY UPPER RIBCAGE. SOMETIMES I GET SHARP PAINS ON BOTH SIDES OF MY NECK AND IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD. IN THE MORNING I WAKE UP SICK TO MY TUMMY AND I DO THRW UP. MY DOCTOR IS SENDING ME TO NORTHWESTERN UN HOSPITAL TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY. ALL I KNOW IS THAT IM SO TIRED OF THIS. I WENT FROM BEING REALLY HEALTHY ONE DAY TO SICK THE NEXT.. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS BEFOR. THEY PUT ME ON ATAVIN TO HELP. IT DOSE TO A POINT. IT HELPS ME TO RELAX AND LET THE SPELLS HAPPEN. MY BRAIN FEEL STRANGE ALL THE TIME. OFF LIKE. NUMB..... I CANT EXPLAIN IT ANY BETTER. MY GUESTION IS IS IT MY BRAIN OR DO YOU THINK SOMETHING ELESE? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. RHARHA.
 juli1004 - Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:58 pm

I have been getting dizzy lately. could it be because i'm taking the medication??

I'm taking elavil at bedtime. i take imitrex when my headache starts. I take macrodantin for my urniary tract infection.

I still have a backache. i'm still waiting for my doctor to overbook the appointment.
 rharha - Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:58 pm

BLACKOUTS. I WROTE A FEW DAYS AGIO ABOUT MY PROBLEM. MY NAME IS RHARHA. I JUST GOT MY MRI TESTS BACK. I HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR AT THE BASE OF MY BRAIN. SO, I AM OFF TO NORTHWESTERN UN IN CHICAGO ILL SOONER. I WAS TOLD I HAVE TO HAVE SUGERY. YOU don't HAVE TO GET BACK TO ME BUT FOR THOSE OUT THERE WHO ARE HAVING A PROBLEM LIKE ME, PLEASE GET AN MRI WITH DYE CONTRAST RIGHT AWAY. I HAVE FOUGHT DOCTORS FOR 4 MONTHS NOW ABOUT NEEDING AN MRI AND ALL THEY SAID WAS TO TAKE ADIVAN WICH IS FOR ANXITY TO HELP ME RELAX! SO THOSE THAT ARE OUT THERE THAT KEEP HAVING PROBLEMS KEEP GOING TO DIFFERENT DOCTORS TILL YOU GET AN ANSWER.
 juli1004 - Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:30 pm

i went to see a doctor this week and she told me that my kidney and the xray that i did was all normal. she wants me to go to physical therapy.
since, imirex is not helping with my headache my doctor told me to call the neurology to make a appointment. my doctor increased the elavil medication because i wasn't sleeping well and she told me that i should sleep well. I was taking 10 mg and now i'm taking 50 mg. it makes me sleepy all day even though i take it at bedtime.
she told me that i will feel more dizzy because of side effects.
I've been seeing therapist. my doctor wants me to see phycharist.
i'm desperate why i'm getting sick all the time. why is it so hard to find the answer.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 am

User avatar Hello Rahrha,

I am terribly sorry to hear about your diagnosis of brain tumor. I agree with your advice that you have to keep trying if the symptoms don't get better. An MRI with contrast isn't indicated in all cases and may not be appropriate for some but as Rahrha said definitely keep at it. Always remember that if you are not convinced with your doctor's opinion/strategy you can always seek a second opinion.

Good luck and please keep us updated. My best to you!
 juli1004 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 pm

my doctor told me i have to go to a physical therapist for my back. my doctor told me there's nothing wrong. my headache is not getting any better with Imitrex. my doctor wants me to go to see neurology but my neurology doctor is pretty busy i guess. I hope to talk to him soon. my leg gets really numbness feeling when i sleep at night.
I get really nauseous too. I get more dizzy recently.
could it be the medication that i'm taking??
my doctor did a blood test on me again. i haven't got the result yet.
 juli1004 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 pm

I have been having constant backache with no answers. My doctor told me that the x-ray is normal and my kidney is fine. At first, my headache was getting better from taking the medication call imitrex but when i waited for get another refill, it didn't help much. my doctor suggest that I should meet with neurology again soon but even though I left him a message couple of times, he still hasn't call. my doctor suggest that i should go to a physical therapy. she's going to refer me.
I don't know what to do.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:15 pm

User avatar Hi again, Juli -

It seems there is more to this than meets the eye. Many of your symptoms could be related, and while the x-ray and blood tests are normal, an x-ray of the spine or even the brain will only expose the most gross abnormalities as a rule. I have to concur with Rhahra and Dr. Fouad that an MRI (of the brain at least, and perhaps of the affected segment of spine as well) would be a logical next step. I also concur with Dr. Fouad in his reply to Rharha that contrast isn't necessarily indicated for this. Additional studies, including possibly a lumbar puncture, could be included if an MRI shows anything suggestive. I can't imagine that the headaches, back pain and numbness in one leg would not be related, especially after having them occur in a group for such a long time.

These symptoms are suggestive of something that needs attention. I would advise being extremely assertive and making certain you get the appropriate exams done to determine what's causing this. There are far too many possibilities to try and make even an armchair diagnosis under these circumstances, but it's clear something is very wrong, and even if the only outcome is a lot of pain and discomfort, that alone is sufficient reason to be tested, diagnosed and treated in a timely manner. Please press everyone involved for the attention this deserves, and also stay in touch with us here. Please keep us updated as you have.
 juli1004 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:21 pm

thank you for responding but I don't understand what you wrote me. could you explain little bit more simple so that i can understand it lot better.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:00 pm

User avatar My apologies for not being more clear. I'll try again.

Your symptoms all are possibly related, and an x-ray and blood tests may not be sufficient to diagnose what's causing them. They are all neurological symtpoms, and I think the cause may be in the central part of your nervous system. Therefore, as the other poster in this thread, Rharha, mentioned, you may need to be persistent with your doctors in order to get a diagnosis and effective treatment. Rharha mentions MRI, and in your case, an MRI of the brain and spinal cord might well be uncover something that wouldn't show up on a plain x-ray. There could be other tests as well that might help, but for any of this it seems you'll have to bring more pressure on your doctors to order the tests you'll need to get to the bottom of this problem. I feel you deserve a more thorough exploration of the symptoms, as you seem to be suffering a good deal of pain and discomfort from them. I hope this is more clear and that you'll press your doctor or doctors to order the appropriate tests to rule out more serious things.

Please keep us updated regarding these things. Best of luck to you.
 juli1004 - Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:23 pm

I'm going to see a neurology again on jan 30th. in the meantime, he told me that i should keep taking the imitrex. he also told me that he might have me do the MRI if my insurance covers it. when i go to see my neurology doctor, what kind of question should i ask him? do you have any suggestion that i should ask?? I'm not really good at asking.

Juli
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:27 pm

User avatar Hi Juli -

I'm glad you've made the neurology appointment. As for questions, look back over your posts here and take notes down of things you've mentioned that are of concern to you. Other than that, the doctor should ask most of the appropriate questions. You'll just need to let him know what your concerns are.

Best of luck to you with this, and please update us once you've seen the neurologist.
 Surely - Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi Juli,
Just a little advice from someone who has been to several neurologists: ask questions while you are there! Ask them to explain any findings they have whether it is in your exam or tests that they do. SO many people get anxious about results because they don't understand them. When my back pain got very bad and I went to a neurologist, he found some ruptured discs. The inflammation they caused made for stabbing pains and weird sensations. The tension in the muscles and pain caused some headaches an nausea. Not that you have this, but to show you how one thing can lead to another when dealing with the spine and irritation of the nerves. Be specific about the pain you have had and where it seems to come from so the doctor has all your information. And maybe even take some notes about what happened when with you as you may not remember during the appointment. Tell them what drugs you have taken and how they affected you and ask to start out with lower dosages so the side effects won't be bad. Good luck.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 pm

User avatar Surely -

Most excellent advice. Thanks for encouraging patient self-advocacy. So much is forgotten or lost in the shuffle from waiting room to exam room to the car. Much appreciated.
 juli1004 - Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:44 am

I went to the urgent care because my doctor told me to go to the emergency room but I didn't want to go to the emergency room because i have to wait all day and I don't even know if my insurance will cover it. When i went to the urgent care, I was very uncomfortable because he examined me like the way that he doesn't really care. the exam was so fast. my doctor doesn't do that. I went in there because I had weakness in my body. it aches everywhere and i had a stabbing stomache pain and that I feel strange taste in my mouth like a blood. he prescribe me a tagamet 400 mg to take twice daily. I was kind of scared taking high mg because my doctor doesn't give me higher mg ever because she knows about my side effects. so I decided to cut in half and taking it that way.
is there any suggestion what i can do at home to get rid of strange taste in my mouth because it really bugs me. I was not very happy about the doctor that i saw. is it safe to take so high mg??

Juli
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 pm

User avatar It was a good idea going to the urgent care facility; the ER in most hospitals is on overload with non-emergent patients anyway which is one reason it so often takes so long. It's unfortunate you didn't have the best interview with the doctor you drew, but this is a common problem and you're fortunate to have a primary care physician who does take more time with you. You did get an appropriate and relatively bennign prescription drug that should be helpful -- IF you take it as prescribed. It only comes in 300, 400 and 800 mg doses, and the usual daily dose ranges from 800 to 1200 mg in divided doses, so cutting them in half is going to severely limit its effectiveness. I don't know what sort of side effects you've had in the past nor if they've been with Tagamet or some other drugs, but the only real problem with this drug is how it interacts with certain others, so if you're not taking anything other than the Amrix and that right now there shouldn't be any problem, but it really does need to be taken at the prescribed dose or it's going to be wasted money.

The taste in your mouth,that blood taste, is a fairly common complaint, and usually is not due to blood. It's difficult to track it down sometimes, but if there is any blood finding its way into your stomach you'd know it by now, as blood does not set well with most stomachs and will cause pretty strong vomiting to get rid of it. Usually this blood (or sometimes a metallic taste) will go away before anyone can figure out what's caused it. It can sometimes be caused by an excess of certain enzymes, but if that's the case the Tagamet should help with that.

Please try to follow up with your regular doctor when there's time, and don't hesitate to follow up here, either, if anything new happens. Good luck to you.
 juli1004 - Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I went to see my neurology doctor last friday and When i went to see him, he suspect that i might have a menangatis in my brain or something more danger because i had a severe headaches for few days and a neck stiffness. the doctor told me that he's going to talk to another doctor who knows more and he examined me also and i was told that i have to get the MRI done right away but the problem was my insurance doesn't cover so the only way to get it done is thourgh ER. Which was right next to the neurology clinic in UCLA medical center emergency department. I was escorted to the ER with my friend. I waited a really long time. the ER nurse called me to register me and she gave me a tyenol and then wait in the lobby to see the ER doctor. i had to wait for a really long time. After few hours, the nurse called me and said that there's a room for me so the nurse ask me if i need the wheelchair because i wasn't able to walk really good but i told her that it was ok. she told me that we will walk slowly. the nurse there was so kind and very nice. when i got to the examining room, i met with the ER doctor and the nurse. The ER doctor was so nice and such a caring. the nurse put me on IV so that he can give me medication for the pain. I had to wait few hours to get an MRI but unfortunately, i didn't. I did a CT scan again and then the ER doctor told me that She wants to do a Lumbar puncture. she told me that that's the best option for now so i was really scared because i never had it done before but the ER doctor told me that she going to put me on morphine and the Er doctor is going to numb me so that i don't feel a thing. I slept though whole procedure. Even though i was sleeping, i can hear what the doctor was saying. she told me how good i was. the result came out and the ER doctor told me that the CT scan and the lumbar puncture was all normal. I was told that i had to wait for 2 hours again to go home but i insisted that i want to go home so the ER doctor discharge me and my friend took me home and i slept. When i got up on saturday, i was still sleepy and couldn't wake myself so i slept all day on saturday and mostly on sunday. sunday afternoon i was back to normal again. On sunday night, i started to have pain in my back where the ER doctor did a lumbar puncture. since, they put me on so many medication I didn't feel any pain. now, I'm having a really bad pain in my back. I read on the website that that can occur. is that true??
The ER doctor prescribe me the medication called vicodine. which i already have from my primary doctor. she gave it to me when i had the flu and the severe pain that i had but i had a stomache pain after taking it. so far, my headache is doing better. my primary doctor put me on new medication called Zoloft 25 mg to start out with. she explain it to me what this medication does.
what i want to know is, should i go back to see my neurology?? I was told that when i had the CT scan done last year. i had sinus shown up. is that normal?? and some thickening. do you think the neurology doctor should precribe me a medication?? when i talk to him on the phone, i told him that my headache is better for now. he told me to call him again if my headache presist again and to contact my primary doctor to see if i need to see my neurology doctor again.
what can i do for now?? what's your suggestion??
please help!!
 juli1004 - Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am

do you have any suggestion?? I talk to my neurology doctor on the phone and he told me that i should go back to the UCLA medical center emergency department but there's nobody to take care of me. So, It's very difficult for me. my headache is back again with severe pain. I'm not able to eat very well either because i have a stomache too. the reason he wanted me to go back to the ER because he wants me to get a MRV test there since my insurance won't cover. my parents are very strict of me going to the doctors all the time because the doctors can't find anything wrong with me.

is there something i can do at home?? what food are there to eat since i have a upset stomache??

please help!!
 juli1004 - Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm

The new symptoms keeps appearing such as my legs hurts so bad and now my hand hurts too. I have to wait for the referral to get an MRI done or the MRV. I'm so desperate trying to find answers. my doctors are working to find answers but so far the test i did it comes out normal.
can this all connected from the headache I'm having??
my back pain got more severe.
it is so difficult to do any activities.

Juli
 juli1004 - Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

I recently started new migraine headache medication. it's called Midrin. I'm also taking nortripttyline that my psycharist gave me. I went to physical therapy and the physical therapist told me that i should be refer to a UCLA pain mangement clinic because whenever i lie down I get really dizzy and the pain gets worse. my physical therapist well talk to my primary doctor which will be right for me. I was also seen by the other doctor since my primary doctor wasn't there. he was concern about my blood pressure. it always been high but my primary doctor wasn't too concerned but the doctor that i met, he was very concern so he prescribe me a verapamil to try. my neurologist is working to get a refferal to get an MRI done. since I only have medi-cal insurance it's going to take a long time to wait. it's really hard when my primary doctor is not there for a month. she's coming back next month so hopefully i can get to talk to her. my physical therapist told me that my back is really bent. so i started practicing at home to sit up straight. it's really hard.
 juli1004 - Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi I'm juli and I would like to know why the pain gets really worse when I'm lying down it doesn't matter which side I'm sleeping. It hurts everywhere and I cannot go to sleep and I hardly get any sleep. even when I'm not lying down I have a lot of pain such as dizziness, headache, nausea, legs pain, hands and feet and backache.
what could be causing this??
have you heard anything like this before??
 juli1004 - Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 pm

I had a head CT scan with contrast today because i never did a CT scan with contrast. my question is will it show more clear image?? and how accurate is it?? is there a possiblility that it might not show anything even with the contrast. the good thing is that i didn't have any allergic reaction or any problem while i was doing a CT scan. I did a CT scan last year without contrast and it came back negative but it did show some sinus but the second time i was sent to the ER, the CT scan was normal.
is there a higher chance it may not show anything even if i did it with contrast??
how do i know if the contrast is all out of my body?? i read that i'm supposed to drink alot of fluid for 2 days.
I really hope it would show something.

Juli......
 juli1004 - Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 pm

MY head CT scan with contrast was negative but my doctor told me that my head and face is tilted it's different right and left. can that cause headaches?? my doctor told me that he's not really sure if that's have to do with it but what is your suggestion??
I'm also having symptoms of hand pains and arm pains and legs and feet and when i eat, i don't feel comfortable eating meaning i can't digest the food well. is there a possibility that i might have fibromylagia or rhumotoid arthritis??

Juli
 juli1004 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi Doctor,
I was seen by neruology again on friday. it's was very difficult for my doctor to figure out what's going on because it's got nothing to do with migraine headache. at first, my doctor thought it might be but since i'm having all these weird other symptoms the other neruology doctors have never seen a patient like me. my other symtoms includes both hand pains, motion sickness, dizziness, legs pains and feet associated with numbness. gets really bad headache after eating and dizziness and nausea. arm pains also. the other 2 doctors and my doctor were chatting together and i was told that i should get an MRI to make sure it's normal but since i only have free health insurance my doctor isn't too sure when will i will get approve. I will be seeing neurologist again in 4 months but if MRI doesn't get approve by then i will have to reschedule. also, my heart rate and my blood pressure was way up and my doctor suggest me to ask my primary doctor to send me to a cariology just in case. my neurology doctor told me that i should stop taking the vicodin because when i was send to the ER last time the ER doctor gave me when she discharge me and i have been taking for a month and now i"m only taking it at bedtime but he told me that it's not good for me because i will have a habit of taking more and more. he also told me that i should not take the verapamil but since my blood pressure is not normal and heart rate he told me that i should keep taking it. i'm going to see my primary doctor next week and i'm not sure what she's going to do. when i saw my doctor last time she told me that it might be rhumotoid logical disorder but she isn't too sure. i'm continuing my physical therapy for my back. it's hard for me but since my doctor told me i should continue i should continue.

what is your suggestion??
i'm desperate. and frustrated. i have good doctors who really care about me but test i have did before it's all normal. i did a CT head scan with contrast but it was negative.

juli
 juli1004 - Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:29 pm

I am miserable and so upset that My doctor couldn't find anything wrong with me. I was suppose to wait for an MRI but I had so much pain I went to the ER and I was able to do an MRI in the ER. which it came out normal. I had been suffering from headaches for a long time about an year and i had dizziness for 2 years now. other symptoms include, leg pains,feet, arms, hands, nausea, more headache and dizziness after i eat, motion sickness, light sensitivity, noise, backache. I went to physical therapy 3 times so far and the excercise i do there increase my pain and my therapist said this isn't good for me. my blood pressure is always going up and down so my doctor ordered a blood test and i'm waiting for my result. The ER doctor said that could happen. my neurologist recommended me to see a headache specialist and my doctor isn't sure if they will be able to help me but i'm going to find out.
my head hurts front, right and back. my doctor told me that it's not a migraine.
what could it be?? what other things i could have??
any suggestion??
recommendaton??
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 pm

User avatar Hello Juli --

I don't know how this string of posts managed to get by me, but I've just located it and have read from the top down. First, I'm sorry there's been no progress in diagnosis, let alone treating this. You've had a fairly thorough neurological workup but over a long period of time. I was going to suggest an MRI as much more reliable for the head than CT, even with contrast. I see now that's been done and nothing new turned up. The fact that the earlier exam showed the two sides of your head are unequal could have some role in this, but it seems fairly unlikely. Sitll, a genetic counselor might be able to help see if this is a factor, because it might indicate a tendency toward semihemihypertrophy, which usually is evident all the way from the head on down, in that one side of the body will measure slightly larger than the other side, although not always enough to be noticeable on casual look. If so, this can also cause some symptoms, including positional headaches, usually of the cluster variety. No one seems to know exactly why. The condition, which is only a wild guess, is not life-threatening, and I'm just thinking out loud here, since most of the more obvkous things have been eliminated now.

The distribution of pain, along with nausea, light sensitivity, etc., also suggest a possible variant form of focal seizure or even atypical migraine, which actually can be felt in other parts of the body and sometimes crosses over or co-exists with focal seizure activity. An EEG and ENG should be performed to rule out seizure or other abnormal brain activity and to help round out the clinical picture. I feel as though with the consistent if varied symptoms and a few other things you've mentioned, the diagnosis is probably not far away at this point. There has to be an explanation for these things.

Please follow up with us here and update us as you have. I'll be notified if you do, and will try and help you sort out any new information. Best of luck to you. Hang in there.
 juli1004 - Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 am

My primary doctor told me that my vitamin D is very low so she gave me a prescription to take every once a week. At first, she was considering to send me to rhumatologist but when my doctor ordered a test and the test show that i have a very low vitamin D. can low vitamin D can cause headahce and hand pains, backache and other related symptoms?? my doctor never told me that i'm anemic but is it possible i might have it?? even if i didn't last time??
I'm seeing a neurologist and a specialist neurology who specialize in headache and dizziness. I will be seeing them in may 29th. I'm really hoping that she will be able to help me. I went to ER again because i was having such a terrible headache and the doctor didn't do any test because i have done it already. all they did was put me on strong morphine and i started to get better and i slept a lot the next day. I wish that that the ER doctor would of did more test on me that i haven't done.
 juli1004 - Wed May 20, 2009 8:55 am

Since, I did an MRI already and it was negative. what more test my doctor can do??
I'm seeing a specialist next friday with my neurology. This doctor specialize in headache and dizziness and she agree to see me with my neurologist. Maybe it's not the brain causing heeadache. Maybe it's causing my headache somewhere in my body.
what is it so hard for doctors to figure it out??
I have been keeping my headache diary and i will be showing it to my doctor.
I have been taking verapamil to control my blood pressure for few months but my blood pressure keeps going up and down. i know that i get nervous and get anxiety a lot but when i check it home it's high too. doctor did a test for that but it's normal and she told me that i'm too young to have a high blood pressure that elderly people have.
I'm so desperate to find some answers.

Juli
 juli1004 - Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Whenever i take a nap. I get up with a headache. is that common?? does dark chocolate cause headache?? I have been eating dark chocolate because I'm still not getting over with the cold i caught it's been over 3 weeks. I went to see my neurologist and a specialist and they told me that I should start doing excercise.
the specialist examined me and she doesn't seem too concern about it. and my neurologist told me that i shouldn't do more scan because it's not good for me.
my doctor told me to come back in 3 to 4 months.

what is your suggestion??
 juli1004 - Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:55 am

Hello again,
I'm desperate why my headache is still not going away. my neurologist told me to excercise and i still have the headache. I'm not alloweed to see a doctor for temperaily because my parents are really worried that something might happen to me. I was reading a health magazine one day and i was reading about the vitamin called coenezyme q10. it said that it helps lessens headache. I would love to try it out but since i'm taking a medication i'm not sure if i can take it. it really bothers me when my parents are so against doctors. my parents thinks that the doctor just keep giving me medication and barely helping me get better. my parents told me that if i get worse and worse by the 3 months from now. i'm alloweed to go back to see a doctor in the meantime, i don't know what to do. i was taking nortryptyline and my parents threw that away and the only medication i'm taking is nexium, vitamin D and verapamil but my parent hide that. the nexium is for my abdominal pain and vitamin d is for because i have a low deficency and verapamil is for my headache and a blood pressure.

any suggestion??
 juli1004 - Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:55 am

Since, I'm not alloweed to take any medication. I stopped all my medication a month ago now. I started taking vitamins and I'm wondering if i'm taking too much of it without consulting my doctor first. I do everything i can to get a relief of my headache as well as other symptoms too. i take calcium 1000 mg, acidophilus, fish oil 2400 mg, glucosamine 1500 mg, vitmain d 800 iu, CoQ10 300 mg, Migrelief (magnesium 360 mg, riboflaivn 400 mg, feverfew 100 mg).
i'm desperate to know what's causing all my symptoms. i had headaches for 3 years now. i have dry eyes, leg and arm pain. back pain. numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I'm going to see my doctor on friday. what can i ask my doctor??

any suggestion

Juli
 artwings21 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:50 pm

hi,
i'm a 17 yearold female , over the last few months i've had these pains shooting in my head throughout the left side just behind my ear , lower to the back , these feel different from a headache and are stronger in the morning.i can hardly ever sleep at night and if i do , i tend to sleep to much, since feeling like this i have been sick a few times and also had nosebleeds which before hand i never used to suffer from. i've became really tierd and my joints ache , my stutter seems to have became allot more frequant aswell , my teachers have noticed the differnece in my behavior and are worried about me - is there any need to be worried or is this just what teenagers go threw at our age ?
 tinasly - Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 pm

I am 46 years old ,very anxious person, eight months ago I came home from shopping and had to lean on the counter because I started to feel dizzy ,I almost constantly have this out of balance feeling not like the room is spinning like I am gonna tip over I also have sinus pressure and sometimes headaches ,ear popping like pressure in my head and just a really weird spacey feeling and no I do not do drugs. I have seen two ent doctors,neurologist,allergist physical therapist and general doctors to many times to count . I have had mri done which showed white matter was tested for ms with spinal tap ect all clear actually two mris,one catscan to check sinus's little mucus no major problems seen I have had tons of bloodwork(thyroid,menopause,infections ) also candida test all clear my neurologist thinks the white spots were related to hypertention and that the dizziness is probably realated to anxiety ( I still don't buy it)what do you think is going on am I crazy! thanks tina

|