News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: 30 blackouts followed by severe headaches

shayduke - Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:35 am

My 16 year old daughter has been complaining about feeling like shes going to black out and having headaches for about a year. shes had an EEG and CAT scan and nothing was found. Her black out spells last just seconds. Eyes go black, hearing leaves and then the headaches that seem to be everyday all day.this happens at least 3 -4 times a day. Shes been sleeping alot, grades are dropping,loses her temper quickly, can't seem to remember things from one minute tothe next. withdrawn, and gordges on sugary foods almost like she can't control herself. Shes 5'6 1/2 and weights about 125 lbs.NO drug use, no head tramas. Her neurologists says it doesn't sound like seizures or migrains. The next step is an MRI and three day stay in the Hospital, but its been 5 months since we started seeing him and every test takes at least 3 -4 months. I'm getting fustrated. Have you ever heard of or seen anything like this?

A very scared mom
Steph
 sarahmarie43 - Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:30 pm

The blackouts sound similar to mine- I have neurocardiogenic syncope. I don't get bad headaches, but everyone is different. If the neurologist can't find anything, try a cardiologist. Good luck.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 pm

User avatar Hello,
Fainting or syncope occurs when there is no enough oxygen to the brain.

Although her initial investigations were negative, you may need to repeat them as well as doing other tests to exclude other causes. If all investigations are still negative, psychiatric consultation may be helpful.

Fainting in general may occur due to cardiovascular or non cardiac causes.
- Cardiac causes include arrhythmias and patients will feel irregular heart beats. EKG is essential and Holter monitor may be needed.

- Non cardiac causes like vasovagal syncope are common especially at young age. They may be situational on standing, defecation, with fear, and or due to psychiatric problems.

Prior to faintness, patients feel dizziness, or light-headedness (70%), diaphoresis, epigastric discomfort, nausea, blurred vision, pallor.

The duration of symptoms may be 1-2 minutes in vasovagal syncope and about 3 seconds in cardiac (arrhythmia) syncope.
Inadequate fluid intake would aggregate the syncope attacks.

- Other causes that may give similar picture include seizures in which most patients do not remember the fainting event.

Investigations include CBC, Blood sugar, EKG (Holter monitor), EEG, and radiologic investigations as needed.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him your concerns.
Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here