News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: tingling in little finger & ring finger on left hand

sardud - Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:35 am

Hi there,
about 4 weeks ago I hit the funny bone on my ellbow (really hard so that it was sore for the rest of the day) and ever since then I have a tingling feeling in my little finger up into my ring & middle finger as well as the balm of the hand. Also the part of the ellbow where my funny bone is, is very sensitive. The tingling gets worse the more I use my hand/arm (feels better when I let my arm hand down). I'm worried it is a bloodclott. What do you suggest?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:22 pm

User avatar Hi there -

You struck your "funny bone" which is "funny" because the ulnar nerve passes through there close to the surface. This nerve serves the outer side of the affected hand, as well as the ring and fifth fingers, as you describe, so the symptoms are entirely appropriate, but shouldn't last too long. If they continue then you may have done some damage to the structure around the nerve where it passes the elbow joint. It is almost certainly not a blood clot, but could be swelling due to the blow (a bursa in your elbow may be irritated and enlarged, which should go away) or you may have just traumatized the nerve locally, which also should get better on its own, usually in a few days. If it doens't get better on its own it may need a doctor's attention, as the tingling could become more persistent, and if the fingers or the edge of the hand start to become numb you'll definitely need to at least get it x-rayed (the elbow) to make sure there isn't some chronic swelling or perhaps that the nerve got pushed out of its channel (something that's pretty easy to fix). It's not a dangerous problem, but if it doesn't improve on its own it could become ulnar neuropathy and could lead to long-term numbness, clumsiness, dropping things, etc. It usually resolves on its own, but if it continues more than a few days, please do have it looked at. Again, no blood clot, but potentially a really annoying chronic injury.

Best of luck to you. I hope this is helpful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here