News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: face/ leg/ hand numbness thyroid malfunction

rose821 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:02 pm

I was a 23 year old healthy girl afterThree months ago i strain my neck twice also hurt my spine because i felt down. one night i felt a hot electricity though my left side of my neck went through my head. I started going very frequently to urine to the bathroom.I went to emergency room because my whole entire face went numb, tongue numb and extremely dryness also muscle shaking. They said nothing was wrong that it could be viral infection after two moths the symptoms the same. I went to my doctor he said my thyroid is high he said there is malfunction in my pituitary gland i was sent to neurologist I told him all the symptoms also newer one that started to appear my both leg numbness, tingling in my hip/buttock all the time also in my lower spine there is inflammation also you could notice a big lump like if something have slide. every time when i sit down i feel a pressure in my lower spine also in the head cause me horrible pain. catscan of the head came ok .the dr did mri without contrast of my neck it was ok. now i am going for the brain without contrast. my question if there could be a herniated disk in my spine compressing my nerves that is causing my all my symptoms also the thyroid to malfunction. also what about my pressure of my head my neck pain weakness If it possible that herniated disc spine affect my head causing pressure or something else is happening just help me out let me know which test should be done to known what is going on with me please help me I'll appreciated it
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 pm

User avatar Hello -

This is difficult to asses, because there is always the possibility of an unfortunate coincidence where some disease process happens to present itself just after some physical trauma or other illness. However, it does seem all this follows your neck and back injuries, and it is very reasonable to guess most if not all the symptoms are due to this. They do not sound like thyroid-related symptoms, but that could well have been going on already without any symptoms and may have been diagnosed more or less by accident. The injuries to your neck and back definitely could account for the symptoms, and among other neurological tests that need to be done to determine where the problem lies would be a nerve conduction test and electromyelogram (EMG). Cervical injuries certainly can often cause severe headaches as well as neurological symptoms below the level of the injury. You may well have more than one spinal injury from the sound of things. You may need to go for a second opinion or have a consult with a neurosurgeon in order to get a better diagnosis than you've gotten so far (which has not been very well considered, it seems).

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 tyaunn - Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:10 pm

I started taking adipex now i have a numbness in my left hand is this cause from adipex
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 am

User avatar Hi tyaunn -

While Adipex (phentermine) can have a whole lot of sometimes pretty disturbing side effects, unilateral numbness in an extremity isn't one of them. If this doesn't resolve quickly I'd have a doctor check it out, and by all means advise him you're using Adipex, but there's no direct connection between this drug and that symptom.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here