Question: Left-Leg Pain/Leg Paresthesia/Tingling

outback_jack - Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 am

For several weeks, I have had unexplained persistent pins and needles and pain in my left-leg. This is accompanied by more generalized dull aches/tingling on the left side of the body (chest pain).

Initially I feared some form of cardiovascular problem, but this has been largely ruled out via blood tests, ECGs, blood pressure checks, Chest X-Rays and Ultrasound Artey exmaination (all tests indicate there is no cardiovascular problem, and the chest pain is not heart related).

This leaves some sort of neurological problem as the likely cause. I shall try to give a more precise picture of the symptoms.

The pain is a dull ache/tingling, and appears to run from the left-hip/left-thigh area, down to the left knee. (Front, Inside and Back). The pins and needles arise from simply lying down or sitting. (even when the legs are not crossed). There are similiar tingling/ache sensations in the upper left chest.

History: I have had no previous serious medical conditions diagnosed, however, this left-leg has given occasional problems before, notably in the form of muscle spasms and occasional aches/tingling.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 pm

While the chest pains and discomfort may have been coincidental (especially since they seem to have resolved), the leg pain and tingling strongly suggests a lower back problem with nerve impingement. A nuerological survey, including nerve conductiong test and electromyelogram (EMG) would probably help isolate and identify the area of concern so that it could be treated, whether symptomatically, by physical therapy or, perhaps, by surgery.

You'll need to see a neurologist for this. Best of luck to you . Please keep us updated.
 outback_jack - Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:24 pm

Further tests have identified a possible culprit.

I was referred for a comprehensive series of X-rays of the back, spine and pelvic region (including thoracic, lumber and left hip).

No abnormalies in my back were observed on the X-rays, but pathologies were clearly visible in my left-hip. The initial report found a 'herniation pit' on the left hip , which was interpreted as evidence of 'femoral impingment' :
http://www.hipfai.com/

Whether this interpretation is correct, and even if it is, whether it is the actual cause of my problems , remains to be seen.

I have now had the pain and chronic pins and needles for two months. It has not resoved and I have currently been referred to orthopedics for further investigation of that left-hip region. (I am awaiting an MRI)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:20 pm

User avatar Interesting development. While an FAI doesn't usually cause an immediate nerve entrapment I would imagine it might at least be able to throw off one's vertical alignment enough to cause pressure to be brought to bear on one of the nerves serving the lower extremity. It will be interesting to learn what the orthopedist finds, and if the link can be made to the actual complaint. Please keep us updated. Hopefully this will lead to a resolution of your problem.

|