Question: can't close eyes--dizziness

jazzy - Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 am

When I take a shower or close my eyes I feel as thou I will fall down as I get so lightheaded. This has happened for several minths now and I have to wash my hair in the sink as I am afraid I will fall in the shower if I close my eyes. It scares me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:04 pm

User avatar Hi there -

You have a balance problem, probably related to an inner ear issue. This is a very common symptom, severe vertigo and imbalance when the eyes are closed, especially if you are leaning your head back to rinse your hair. You'll need to be very careful in the shower until the problem is resolved, which may require a simple medication such as meclizine to resolve. It would seem you're not having any symptoms except when you close your eyes in the shower. There are tests to confirm this sort of thing, and your doctor may want to refer you to a neurologist, but he may also just prescribe something for the dizziness. (I realize you're calling it "lightheadedness", but commonly one wouldn't become faint or lightheaded simply by closing one's eyes, whereas vertigo or loss of balance very often does occur due to this).

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 jazzy - Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:34 am

Thank you so very much for answering my question. I was just worried about it as I had neck fusion about 2 years ago and since then I have constant ringing in my left ear and the dizziness . I had my ears checked out by an ent and they said they were fine. Thank you again. Jassy
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:39 am

User avatar Hi -

You're very welcome. You know, there is another, but controversial, cause of some instances of vertigo, called cervical vertigo, which supposedly comes from misalignment or injury to the cervical vertebrae in the neck (I happen to subscribe to the "this is a real phenomenon" theory). Since you do have a history of cervical problems, corrected by a fusion, this may account for the problem, which somehow affects the balance system the same way the ear-eye connection normally does.

Best advice, still, is be careful in the shower.

|