News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: dull pain on the left side of my head

abby's mom - Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

I have a pain on the left side of my head behind my ear. It's not a headache. More of a soreness. It feels a little bit like it would feel if I had been hit in the head but I haven't been. It is sensitive to the touch. There is nothing on my scalp, either.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 pm

User avatar Hello -

There are generally two causes of this problem: sometimes it is due to an inflamed nerve, which is more likely when the sore area is painful to the touch; the other is mastoiditis, an inflammation of the mastoid process, the bulbous bony protuberance behind the ear. This latter is usually due to an ear infection. If there's been no suggestion of an ear infection (in which case you should be seen by a physician to make sure it is resolving properly and if it needs an antibiotic), then it is probably an irritated cranial nerve and should respond to over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain meds such as ibuprofin or naproxym. Rarely, this inflammation can be caused by shingles or a localized herpes infection, which is often obscured by the hair.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here