Forum Name: Headaches

Question: dull pain on the left side of my head

abby's mom - Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 am

I have a pain on the left side of my head behind my ear. It's not a headache. More of a soreness. It feels a little bit like it would feel if I had been hit in the head but I haven't been. It is sensitive to the touch. There is nothing on my scalp, either.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 pm

There are generally two causes of this problem: sometimes it is due to an inflamed nerve, which is more likely when the sore area is painful to the touch; the other is mastoiditis, an inflammation of the mastoid process, the bulbous bony protuberance behind the ear. This latter is usually due to an ear infection. If there's been no suggestion of an ear infection (in which case you should be seen by a physician to make sure it is resolving properly and if it needs an antibiotic), then it is probably an irritated cranial nerve and should respond to over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain meds such as ibuprofin or naproxym. Rarely, this inflammation can be caused by shingles or a localized herpes infection, which is often obscured by the hair.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|