Question: Fainting, numbness, blurry or sometimes loss of vision

faintboy - Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi, I am a 15 year old male. I have fainted/blacked out 4 times in a period of about two years, and the episodes seem to be more frequent now. When I am about to faint, I lose vision in my eyes, sometimes completely, I feel very dizzy, and I feel numb, especially on extremities like toes and fingers. The most recent time, I experienced a wave of nausea and felt very hot (in a mild to cool room) prior to fainting. It happens whether I am standing up, sitting down, laying down, whatever. Sometimes I can pull through the dizziness and not faint, and other times I cannot. I have been repeatedly told by doctors that it is an= normal occurrence, and they do not check me very thoroughly.(almost as if they don't believe me). The most extensive test I have undergone is an EKG, and the doctor never even replied as to what the test results were. I have done some research, and believe one possibility is Syncope, either vasomotor or neural. One test to determine this is to take blood pressure in both arms, and see if there is a difference. Another is to take blood pressure while lying down, then while standing up. I have requested these, but have been told it was unnessescary. Maybe my symptoms are normal, but MAYBE THEY AREN'T! That is wahat I want to find out, and I don't understand the problem with that. Am I right in my thinking, or am I just a stupid kid?
 sarahmarie43 - Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:27 pm

I don't think it's stupid- fainting IS NOT NORMAL. Look up neurocardiogenic syncope. That's what I have, and I have been through similar experiences with doctors. Keep going until you find an answer. You know your body and you know when something isn't right, so don't give up no matter what any doctors say. Good luck.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:51 pm

Fainting or syncope occurs when there is no enough oxygen to the brain.

Fainting may occur due to cardiovascular or non cardiac causes.
Cardiac causes include arrhythmias and patients will feel irregular heart beats. EKG is essential and Holter monitor may be needed.
Non cardiac causes like vasovagal syncope are common especially at young age. They may be situational on standing, defecation, with fear, and or due to psychiatric problems.

Prior to faintness, patients feel dizziness, or light-headedness (70%), diaphoresis, epigastric discomfort, nausea, blurred vision, pallor.

The duration of symptoms may be 1-2 minutes in vasovagal syncope and about 3 seconds in cardiac (arrhythmia) syncope.
Inadequate fluid intake would aggregate the syncope attacks.

Other causes that may give similar picture include seizures in which most patients do not remember the fainting event.

Investigations include CBC, Blood sugar, EKG (Holter monitor), EEG, and radiologic investigations as needed.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him your concerns.
Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.

|