Question: Sciatic Nerve and Legs falling asleep

Azuresunrise - Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi

I have had problems with sciatic since highschool. It switches sides. It hurts in my lower back and goes down to my thighs. I start to limp until the pain goes away. I always have to lay down on something soft as I cannot lay down on carpeted floors or with blankets on it. Having 2 kids just made it worse. Now I have problems with my legs falling asleep even when I walking it is really annoying and the sciatic hurts real bad. What do I do? What kind of doctor would I see?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:50 pm

User avatar Hi there -

You'll need to see an orthopedist, who may well refer you to a neurosurgeon. This is apparently caused by a failure of some part of the structure of the low back which is allowing the pressure to fall on either or both sciatic nerves, and if your legs are becoming numb even while walking it's getting worse. It sometimes will resolve on its own, but based on the course of symptoms you describe this isn't going to correct itself, and may cause permanent nerve damage if it isn't corrected.

See an orthopedist or neurologist with an eye toward ultimately being referred to a neurosurgeon, unless the referring doctor feels physical therapy might solve the problem or at least relieve some of the symptoms. This needs attention fairly urgently.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to follow up with us here as needed.

|