Question: Self induced sleep deprivation

ThePinkMyr - Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 pm

I've been awake for 55 hours and have shown no sign of grogginess, tiredness or anything.

I'm just wondering if there is something up with that.

I plan on staying awake for 11.5 days. Not to beat any world record, just for the sake of it.
Should I be aware of anything?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 pm

User avatar You should be aware that you will not necessarily be aware of how impaired you may become during the course of this stunt, so be sure to not drive, operate heavy machinery, or navigate heights during this. You may tend to hallucinate after awhile and one often is unaware that a hullucination is just that, which is the main reason hallucinations are problematic in general.

In other words, you should plan to take the same precautions against harming yourself or others as you would if you were experimenting with any strong alcohol or other mind-alterning drugs. Sleep deprivation can be highly unpredictable, and you may, if you're lucky, simply discover you've been asleep for a while at some point, since it is difficult, without chemical assistance, to stay awake nearly as long as you've planned. To do it with chemical asistance can be life threatening.

The entire project is potentially quite dangerous, actually. If you're not feeling any effects after 55 hours you may well suffer from some mood disorder such as bipolar disorder. I only mention this as an aside to you, since if you do suffer from BPD you probably should look into having it medically managed. It's pretty rare for anyone to stay awake as long as you have without feeling any untoward effects -- again, without chemical assistance.

Good luck with this. Be careful!

|