Question: Constant tiredness, headaches, dizziness.

xxtamxx - Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:03 am

Hey,
Ok so I kind of need some advice or maybe just some ideas with this kind of 'situation.' I'm 17 and female.

Just over a month ago, I got a cold, blocked nose, hard breathing, chesty cough, headache, appetite all over the place, tired and feeling sick. Most of the symptoms have gone - however I am still feeling extremely extremely lethargic, it's getting more and more difficult for me to get out of bed in the morning, and each morning when I wake up I just feel even tireder than when I went to bed. I've been headache's most mornings, and the majority of the time within a couple of hours they settle. When I get up out of bed I tend to feel really wishy washy, almost like I am still asleep and sometimes dizzy. I just keep walking around all day in what seems like a daze.

But I'm just getting really annoyed with it now, I mean, it can't possibly still be my cold? I just feel so drained and bluergh, sometimes I get bursts of energy but not very often, I have exams after the holidays and I need to just be back to my normal self. I need energy, concentration and focus back!

I've had early nights in the hope that I'm AM actually tired, I've done exercise in the hope that it will help me sleep better, I've tried relaxing and winding down before bed, keeping my bed cool, drinking fluids, multivitamins and having a routine but to know avail.

Admittedly I am the sort of person to suffer from stress, and I lost my Grandmother in July and my grandfather 2 months later in September so I have had a lot to deal with. I am unsure as to whether the way I am feeling is due to the bereavements, but I really do feel I need to find out what this is and try and get it sorted, because feeling like this is making me feel even worse if that makes any sense?
 xxtamxx - Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 am

Some things I forgot to mention.
I was diagnosed with depression at 14, between 15 and 16 I tried to different types of anti-depressants. Also around the age of 16 I had problems with my eating habits. Other things I have noticed with my body recently is that my periods are very irregular and quite heavy. I'm currently seeing a chiropractor once a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:24 pm

It is entirely possible you could be suffering from depression. I would recommend seeing a doctor for blood testing (to see if there is any sign of ongoing infection, low iron, hypothyroidism or other abnormality. Discuss with the doctor your symptoms and the possibility of depression or anxiety which might benefit from medication. Usually it is advised to rule out other physical causes first, but psychological problems can also manifest in physical symptoms such as those you describe.

xxtamxx - Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated!
A friend of mine has suggested getting checked out for mono, I don't really have any idea what that is though.....
My chiropractor has also suggested I get checked out for anemia, which I do know about.
I find it kind of difficult walking into a doctor and 'telling' them what I think is wrong with me and asking to be tested for things.
Sorry for replying again!
x

|