Question: PUJ OBSTRUCTION

MAZ - Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:45 am

I AM A 32 YR OLD FEMALE N I HAVE BEEN TOLD I HAVE BILATERAL RENAL PELVIC DILATION.

i had a ct ivp done and also a mag 3 scan. the ct has confirmed puj obstruction but the mag 3 has suggested kidney function is not affected. (the dye is going thru)

so do i still need a pyeloplasty?
if not, when shd i get it rechecked?
what other symptoms to look out for.

thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:02 pm

So long as kidney function is not compromised you probably are safe in having this followed by your urologist, who will know best how often to recheck -- which may be more often than if this were unilateral, since one side could possibly become completely obstructed and you might not be able to tell by the symptoms.

The progress of the disease depends upon the underlying cause, so your doctor will not only have to determine, based on your particular factors, whether or not to follow this, how often, and whether and/or when a pyeloplasty is or will become necessary.

Symptoms to watch for would be decreased force of flow and/or less frequent urination, and also pain of any sort in the flank area on either side, or any sort of pain along the pathway from the kidneys to the bladder.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 MAZ - Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:32 pm

thanks for ur reply. but as far as the pain u mentioed i do notice a pain on my right side around the ribcage when i do a work out like tread mill etc. but that pain goes away after a 3-5 mins. and occassionally i notice a pain on my lower back either side. is that also related to this?

|