Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headaches, neck pain, warm feelings, taste issues

scribble2009 - Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:12 am

Hello. I am a 23 year old male and have been having some strange symptoms for the last month and a half or so. The first symptom that I noticed, was a strange taste that seemed to be coming from the back of my throat. At first, it was rather subtle, but now it is quite constant. The taste comes in many flavors - bitter, sour, sometimes a bloodlike taste. I have also noticed that my tongue has a strange white furry covering and in a bit bumpy. I think I also see some raised blister like things on my tongue, near my tonsils. When I eat food, the taste is masked by the flavor of the food, but always seems to come back soon after eating. About 2 weeks later, I had a few panic attacks ( I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder about three years ago, but had been panic attack free for almost 2.5 years), which kind of just came out of nowhere. Since then, I've head constant headaches all over my head. They seem to to come in short spurts, lasting only a few seconds each time. At first, I thought it was related to my TMJ because the pain was primarily in my temple regions, but now the headaches are scattered. Back of the head, behind the eyes, front of the face..Usually if I massage the spot of the headache, it will fade, but will then reappear in another spot. I have also been feeling what seems like hot air being blown on different parts of my body. Even when I am outside in the cold, and the rest of my body is freezing, it will feel like someone is holding a blow dryer up to a certain part of my body. Usually, I feel this in the side of my face, but have also felt it in my legs and hands. My most recent symptom is a really stiff and cracking neck. Sometimes, this feeling is very intense (like a pinching feeling) where my head meets my neck.
Of course I have considered that these symptoms are related to anxiety (as I had seen a plethora of different symptoms a few years ago), but some of them (like the taste thing, headaches, and warm feeling) are things I have never felt before. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:40 pm

Thank you for your question. You have given an intelligent assessment of your own condition. Given the nonspecific (changing) nature of some of your symptoms coupled the previous diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), I would put anxiety at the top of the list also.

I think one of the first things in combating this serious and otherwise debilitating disease is to recognize its presence. Once that happens you are a step away from knowing how to overcome these symptoms.

The headaches you describe as well as the warm feelings are probably as such since they do not fall into the category of any classic symptoms due to an organic disease.

The taste however, may or may not be related to anxiety. It appears that you may have an infection in the mouth and this can of course cause taste changes. Are you a smoker? Do you have diabetes? Unfortunately, I couldn't find any medical history in your profile. Please be sure to update that.

As always of course this could be wrong and the only way to make sure is to have yourself examined face to face with your doctor.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

|