Question: sudden Loss of Proprioceptive pain - both sides of body

jlt - Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:33 pm

can anyone hlep me? I am 36 yrs old. I have been diabetic for 32 years. 1 1/2 weeks ago, I lost all sensation of muscular pain, arthritic pain etc throughout my body. My brain MRI came back fine. I can feel sharp pain - eg needles in skin - but cannot feel when I stretch my muscles. Whatever happened also caused me not to be able to feel hunger and it stopped my flight or fight response instantly. I feel completely calm for the first time in my life that I can remember. I no longer have an adrenalline rush when my sugars are as low as 2.9 m/mmol/L I have always been anxious and it disappeared like someone shut off a switch. The sensation when it returns - is only partial - one explosion of anxiety and crying - otherwise feel like I am walking around in a cloud. The "numbness is worse from the waist up. I did initially lose the burning aching in my legs when I walk (peripheral artery disease) but it seems to have returned - more some moments than others, but still there for most of the time. THe left side of my face and lip - when the sensations are numbest in the rest of my body - is like I was at the dentist and had my face frozedn. I cannot feel any pain when you press hard on the pressure points on my face - even now and even when I start to feel some normal sensations in the rest of my body. I have lost most of my itch sensation as well. Intermittently.

Prior to this incident, I had severe neck tightness and pain at the back of my skull. Usually have chronic neck pain which flares up and prevents me from sleeping - but nothing like that. I still have all of my motor skills and verbal skills.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm

It sounds as though you may have experienced some sort of rare neurological event that's affecting many parts of you peripheral nervous system, but what's happened is not at all clear. You've been in for an MRI of the brain, so you evidently have been seen for this strange event. Has no one offered any suggestion as to what might be causing this? It certainly could be diabetes-related, but in what way is difficult to say. The episode of pain at the base of your neck prior to this event also may have played a role or may indicate an insult to some part of your cervical spine, but again, it's very difficult to tell. You probably should have a comprehensive neurological workup, since although this problem seems to have both an up as well as a down side, the main thing about it is how very odd and abnormal it is.

If you have any additional information to share, please follow up with us here. Otherwise, try and schedule a consult with a neurologist. Best of luck to you.
 jlt - Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Thank you for your response. My Internal Medicine Specialist believes that it is small vessel damage that has caused a stroke to the Thalamus. I am ucertain if this is the correct diagnosis because:

1. From what I have read, the sensations controlled by the Thalamus include the sharp initial pain and the slow secondary pain - but I have only lost the slow secondary responses.

2. It has affected both sides of my body. All that I have read about lacunar strokes suggests that it only affects one side of the body - or affects both sides but one side loses for example motor control and the other loses the slow /deep sensations.

3. The fact that the symptoms come and go depending on how much I am on my feet and also how much computer work I am doing and often just out of the blue.

4. I read an article on line that said when you lose only one of the two types of sensaiton, it is most likely damage to the cord and not the Thalamus.

I am not a doctor though so it may be a lacumar stroke and I just don't have enough information about how they work.

|