Question: Constant popping in various parts of my head.

DSkillet - Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:52 am

I have been sick for the past month.
Low grade fever, sinus conjestion, post nasal drip, scratchy throat - no sore throat - and it is not improving, nor does it feel to be getting worse(the 'common-cold' symptoms).
I have minor scoliosis, that has recently begun to affect my neck.
For what I would guess could be since around 2-3 years ago, I've had a random clicking deep inside my head, usually tothe right, but sometimes even on the left, and always only when I run or jump up and down/climb stairs. Never any pain or even any ache or numbness occuring with it. And from what I can remember, no serious migraine issues. I chose not to worry about it, and though I did once get a chance to mention it to a doctor, they were not concerned and found nothing that could suggest it be because of my neck (with Xrays. the guy was an orthodontist I think - excessive focus on bone alignment).
But now the symptom is very different.
A few nights ago I was completely calm, eating dinner. When suddenly I felt AND heard a repeating pop/crack/clicking coming from about 2 inches above my left ear, it was shallow, not far in at all from what I could tell. Afterword my head felt pressurized, and just "off" I guess. Since then, I have been CONSTANTLY feeling these pops ALL over as well as in that same spot, and all "shallow". I want to believe it is my inner ear, and I have some kind of infection in there and/or with my sinuses; but find it hard to continue with that because these pops are accompanied by an irritated/burning sensation, and it's happening even in back of my head and pretty much everywhere accept for my forehead - even right now I am feeling one after another about every few minutes. I am becoming increasingly worried, and to be quite honest I think I've convinced myself I am going to die, despite not having any numbness/weakness or dizzyness/lightheadedness that would be associated normally with more serious conditions. I don't know what to do, I cannot sleep, I've had maybe 8-9 hours of sleep over the past 3 days because the popping continues.
I have searched all over google for answers or even questions with this sort of popping problem and have found nothing that could offer any insight, other than to seek advice from "your physician". At this point I now plan on that, though I have no health insurance and never been to the hospital where I am living atm.

Please give me any insight you could possibly have on this. I am beyond panic, and am not sure if I can make it out to the hospital within the next couple days.

Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon May 18, 2009 10:12 pm

I hope by now you've gotten some answers from direct medical sources, but I will attempt to help you figure this out. It does sound, or at least did sound, like an inner ear phenomenon which is fairly common. However, the reason it's moving toward all points in or on your head is more obscure and should be evaluated by a neurologist to rule out anything serious. While it would seem very troubling these sensations are most likely referred from a single focus. Still, it's not anywhere near normal and this should be evaluated urgently, since there could be some problem, even if confined to the inner ear, which could evolve into a more generalized problem. I'm not sure what's going on, but the annoyance value alone would be enough to make this urgent if not emergent. I hope you've by now been seen and evaluated. If so, please update us here. Good luck to you.
 mspingree - Wed May 27, 2009 12:12 pm

I have had periodic popping in my head for 10 yrs. The first 2 times there were no other symptoms. The next one caused a dizzyness but foolishly I did not go to the Doctor for a week and he said I had imagined it. But he took a scan and found nothing..
3 years later I had a pop in the back of my head and felt sick. Then I had the sensation of something slowly moving down the inside of my skull. I called for a ride to the hospital. While waiting started to fall backwards. At the ER I waited 3 hrs to be seen and they saw nothing and I was sent home after a scan.
They now come occasionally in 3 specific regions but no other symptoms.
The reason I am writing is that my 5 yr old granddaughter woke up after a 20 minute car ride and said, "Oh." "Grandma what makes a pop in your head?" I suggested that it could be her neck cracking and she said "No, it was here." and pointed to the upper right side off her head and pointed to 2" above her ear.
Her father's family has a history of brain aneurysms.
So now what do we do?

|