Question: side effects of trileptal

garyreiten - Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:54 am

i take trileptal to control trigeminal neuralgia. I stopped taking it to see if I no longer suffer from it. I felt the beginings of an episode . I began taking the medicine again but due to fear of the disease i took 2 600 mg a day instead of the 1 150mg I was taking. I know trileptal is also used for bipolar patients. Could the increasse in my dosage cause me to have bipolar tendencies. Can your response also be emailed to me garyreiten@att.net
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Trileptal won't cause bipolar behavior or symptoms in an otherwise non-bipolar patients, and if you didn't have any other untoward side effects (overdosage can cause some other, more concrete physical symptoms, but it generally requires a great deal more than you took) then you're probably totally out of the woods.

That being said, I can't overemphasize the importance of taking prescription meds only as directed, and if there is any question (as in your instance of having discontinued the drug then realizing you probably needed it), you should contact your physician and discuss what should be done. I hope you've now returned to your regular doseage, and if that's no longer effective then contact your physician.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. This will be emailed as well, per your request.

|