Question: constant dull neck / headache, cognative difficency

pillowhead11 - Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:40 pm

A month and 1/2 ago i started feeling constantly spaced out, and cognitively deficient. A couple of days after i started feeling a constant dull headache... almost like it's brain pressure. A week after that i realized how the dull headache would radiate from the base of my skull / top of my spine and spread through out my head. Now my whole neck aches and the the dull ache at the top of my spine / base of my skull and head intensified slightly.

i use to enjoy intellectual conversation but now find it somewhat difficult because of frequent brain farts, memory gaps and I feel mentally slow. I constantly have to wrestle with a shortened attention span and a spaced out feeling with active meditation. I also feel like everything in my head registers things much more slowly... verbally and visually.

a related case in the past:
I use to be a gym freak until 6 months ago. 2 years ago, While working out i use to feel a pinched nerve in my neck... one time i got really sick after immediately after a gym session where i was lifting heavy overhead. I was in the Navy so they just handed me Tylenol and sent me back to work. I was so sick i could barely move and my neck was aching... I had a lot of cold sweaty nights. It lasted about 5 days and i lost 20 pounds. i thought it was the flu but my two overweight friends saw how skinny i was and ( I s**t you not) decided to lick the rhym of the cup i was drinking out of but never got sick. When i got somewhat healthy I went back to the gym and the same less intense symptoms showed up again.. but i felt my neck hurting first. so i stayed out the gym for a month.

unfortunately i can't go to the doctor at the moment because i don't have health insurance. (No you don't get it once out the Service) Can anyone help me out, i've been reading forums all week and didn't get a diagnosis. Does anyone have any information or know where i can ask around?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 pm

While the lack of health insurance is deplorable, and especially in the case of former service members, this is a widespread problem right now, and given the wide range of potentially serious causes of your symptoms, you really need to be seen and evaluated by a doctor, preferably a neurologist. It''s impossible to diagnose via this medium anyway, and we are only able to make educated guesses and direct people to the appropriate care. Even if we could diagnose, we cannot treat, so you definitely need to be seen. The wide range of potentially serious issues which could be causing your symptoms just cannot be ignored. Please do whatever you must in order to have this evaluated. I'd suggest trying to find a doctor or clinic which works on a sliding scale basis, but please do not hesitate to get this looked into.

Please keep us updated as well. Good luck to you and thanks for your service.

|