Question: Diagnosed ruptured disc need 2nd opinion of MRI results

Monkpish - Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:05 am

I injured myself a month and a half ago while working. The workmans comp doc told me I had a strained back. I told him after much insistence that it was more than a strain due to the incredible amount of pain I was and am in. Finally I was referee to a specialist, MRI was ordered and wouldn't you know I have a ruptured l6-s1. (was born with six lumbar vertabrea). Even though I am in lot of pain, the specialist/neurosurgeon informed me I had a non-stenotic prolapse and non focal herniation DD at l1-l2. I was told I can resume normal activity without fear of further injury. While I waited for these findings (2 weeks), I emailed the MRI images to a chiropractor friend who told me the complete opposite of the radiological report and the workmans comp docs. My friend suggested a stenotic prolapse that explains my symptoms and suggests extreme caution with prompt care. I was hoping to get a unbiased opinion of a couple of MRI images to rest these conflicting views. I don't trust the workmans comp doc. He was hastily in diagnosing me and told me I ruptured the l4-l5 (clearly mistaken). I desparately need relief and help figuring out what true cause and/or seriousness of injury. Thanks!
 soremommy - Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:42 pm

let me assure you, your chiro friend is in deed right. the same thing happened to me all the way from L3-s1. was told it was fine just degenerative. i could feel my foot on left side and was repeatedly tripping and falling. i was working as a nurse aide doing regular lifting etc. my gp referred me to a neurosurgeon who after five minutes says howare you walking at all? still unsure and in pain i get yet another oppinion. i have to have surgery. fusion so fast in fact that i had it the next week to keep from moving wrong and the disc slipping further onto column. my advice get as many op's as you need to feel comfortable, do not go backt o regular activity until you feel comfortable you know your body way better than anyone else. if you do need surgery research your surgeons thoroughly and way the different types of surgery you can have. all of them have risk and pros as well. unfortunately i was one of the less than ten percent who got worse and surgery was no help. it did stop the disc from paralizing me but the damage i was suffering ie numbness,pain,balance etc did not improve at all and actually seem worse. my dr said it was because my original surgery time of 4 hours turned into a 11 hour ordeal and my disc were more damaged than originally thought. your back is nothing to lay and wait with. btw. workers comp drs will go the least expensive cost effective way just to keep there jobs. good luck.

|