Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Odd pulsing pain in one spot in the top right side of head

questionaire1965 - Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 pm

I have a odd pulsing pain that is in the top right side of my head. Its not like a typical all over headache it is just in the one spot. The pain only lasts for a few seconds but can be quite severe. Ive also noticed that my eyesite is not quite the same lately, not sure if the two are related. What could it be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:21 pm

I am not sure about the location you are referring to. Are you referring to the top of the skull (as in the highest point) or the top of the face (as in above the eyebrow).

How often does it recur? Does it occur early in the morning / late in the evening? Is it related to change in posture? Did you have a recent history of trauma in the area of complaint?

Several possibilities based on your description: If this is a recurring problem this could be some sort of neuralgia depending on the location of your symptoms. Another possibility is tension type headache although this is characteristically bilateral in nature. It could also be a local muscle problem, nerve problem.

Although pulsating character is associated with migraines, they typically last much longer than a few seconds.

It would be a good idea to have a physician examine you.
Please keep us updated.

Happy New Year!
 rukiddingme - Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:39 pm

I have the same issue. Started after surgery in October, it was hard to open my jaw - the right side hurt sooo bad at the top joint of my jaw. It took 4 weeks for me to be able to open my mouth enough to eat the size of a fast food burger. I figured they just opened my jaw too much when i was in surgery. During this time I was having pain in my jaw from my temple to my ear. It came and went. Well the past 2 weeks it has gotten worce. I have a constant migrane type pain in my right side, it pulses, I can take a migrane pill (relplax) and it takes the constant migrane away but doesnt take the pulses away - they are random however come often - severe pain. The top of my temple to the top of my cheek bone is swollen, not bad - but to the point that you can feel the diffrence when touching my right side and left side. I also am experiancing a decrease in my vision - almost like it is cloudy in my right eye. I am going to try to get an appointment with primary Dr tomorrow - just saw this post and thought it was familar with what I was experencing
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:11 am

User avatar Thank you rukiddingme for your post.

Please be sure to keep us updated and post the result of your visit to the doctor here for everyone following this thread.

rukiddingme - Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Called my Neurologist today, he is not convienced that it is cluster migranes however feels that I may have Trigeminal Neurolgia. He said that could trigger migranes. He wants to test Lyrica and see me Early next week. I sure hope this is something diffrent. Trigeminal Neurolgia sounds as if it is not fun to have, I hope this is a small infection that is disturbing a nerve. More to come

|