News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Chemo induced neuropthy?

capesnobleanna007 - Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi, This post may not get answered before I go or I may be posting in a wrong forum. I have BreastCancer and was treated with 2 diffrent types of chemo. I have been in severe pain since the start of both which was in march2008 I went to a neurologist who did the EMG and the muscle test I could feel everything in my feet but my legs were unresponsive to the tests. I can walk alright but live in severe pain 24/7 and I have tried diffrent nerve meds but no relief. Also I have experienced this before and went to a spine dr. had MRI and showed no disc problems that was 2 yrs ago. The pain is like a severe toothache from my lower back down both legs. I also have pain in other places but I have severe nerve issues in arms one arm had 2 surgeries and my other arm needs surgery. Ijust find it odd I have so many nerve issues. I am going to a Rheumotologist next week to see if something else is going on. I am unable to work at this time due to pain. Heat does help as pain meds just take off the edge. I don't sleep and my quality of life stinks. After batteling cancer still am in treatment with that I just wish I could find ryme or reason to this constant pain. I would be greatful for any help. or direction. in this fight to get better.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:38 pm

User avatar Hi there --

Hopefully by now you've had your rheumatology consult. While it's conceivable that chemo may have had some influence on this neuropathy, it seems more likely you have some diffuse nerve entrapment problems due to something more orthopedic or rheumatic in nature. With ulnar neuropathy in both arms/hands, and now what sounds like bilateral sciatica, it would seem reasonable to guess there are perhaps multiple vertabral problems, perhaps random disc herniations, and all of this could be due to a single rheumatic disorder such as (for example) ankylosing spondylitis. The rheumatologlist would be the next logical step and hopefully this will have clarified the problem and got you on the road to improvement already.

Please follow up here with us as needed, and update us as to what you've found out so far. Hopefully you're on the path to improvement already.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here