Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Could lower neck pain be causing throbbing headaches?

Lady Jessica - Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 pm

For about 3 months, I have what would seem like a pinched nerve in my lower neck. When I say lower neck, the area is close to where one would consider a "hump neck" to be, however, I do not have a hump neck. The nerve pain is on the right side of the bone there, and limits the movement of my head. For this, I have been taking Tylenol Extra Strength and using a topical analgesic heat rub, such as Icy Hot for the pain. It relieves the pain, however, has not made it go away.

Lately, for the past week and a half, I have started to recieve throbbing headaches which seem to be in the temporal lobe area; primarily right between my temple and my ear but sometimes stretches towards the top of my head when the shooting pains occur. I am not able to bend over and/or pick things up without this intense throbbing pain. Sometimes talking can even cause intense pressure in this area, causing me to have a constant headache the rest of the day. I have been taking Tylenol Extra Strength to try and relieve the pressure and pain of these headaches, but it is not working....

Could the pain in my neck be causing the pain my head?

Please help!

-Lady Jessica
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

User avatar Hello Lady J. --

There's a very good chance the neck pain and the headaches are related. While this can sometimes be due to a casual and benign relationship, there's enough going in the area you describe (cervical vertebra or C7) that a problem there could cause disabling retrograde headache as well as other symptoms. It also could be something more troublesome, so I'd strongly recommend having this evaluated by a neurologist. You may benefit from physical therapy or my find there's something far enough out of alignment to warrant consideration of surgery. In the meantime you'll probably need something more than over-the-counter NSAIDs for the pain, and this will require a prescription most likely.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.

|