Question: Memory Nausea

chandlera04 - Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:02 am

Memory and/or smell (mostly memory) will often times result in a few moments of extreme nausea, light-headedness, loss of focus on reality, blurred sight, partial loss of hearing, and other symptoms. This has been happening since I was about 18 years old (8 years). It only happened a few times in my teen years growing in frequency as I got older. Recently the number of times this happens to me has multiplied exponentially. It happens about 2 or 3 times a day and has a new symptom. Now, in some instances, a very acrid smell that no one else can smell fills my nostrils for the duration of the symptoms nearly choking me. I cannot think clearly when this happens. I can never remember what the memory is that triggers this in me other than that it is a memory and not always the same one. I have tried carrying around a tape recorder with me so that when it does happen I can record my thoughts, but the problem is that when it starts I can't think to pull it out and start to record and by the time I do remember I have already forgotten the memory that triggered this and the effects are beginning to wear off. What started out as a minor nuissance has become a major disruption in my life. I also have an extremely poor memory and have great difficulty focusing. My doctor tried to play it off to a drug related issue but I have not used any kind of drug since I was about 20 and the strongest drug I have ever used is marijuanna. I am coming to my wits end.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:10 am

User avatar Hello:
Are you currently taking any medications whose side effects could be causing this? Do you smell things that others do not smell? Do you also see things or hear things that others say they do not? If you are not taking any medications presently, I would recommend you consult with a psychiatrist who would be able to help you to understand what part your memories play in affecting your senses and how to get through this before your life is totally disrupted by it. Let me know how things go, I care.
Kind Regards,
Carolyn
 chandlera04 - Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:47 am

I am not taking any medication at all. I do not hear things others cannot. The smell is a completely new sensation in this problem, as in within the last few weeks. Thanks for the reply.
 tigerteddy - Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:04 am

Hello there,
For the past 6 months I have been the same symptoms as posted by a member to this site. which is that memory often results in a few moments of extreme nausea, lightheadedness, loss of focus on reality (as if I am on the verge of remembering somthing else or going into an altered state), blurred sight and partial loss of hearing.
I am female, 41 years old, I do not and have never taken drugs, I am completely teetotal, and smoke 3 cigarettes a day. I excercise 3 times a week and hold down a responsible job, have one child and am partnered.
The only surgery I have had is appendictits when I was 20. I am sometimes aneamic but nothing more than most women have.
My father died of high blood pressure. My mother is alive and while.
i am not on medications apart from the normal vitamin supplements and iron (Spatone) water for the slight aneamea.
As I travel quite a bit I have a yearly full medical. the last was done in December and I was given a clean bill of health.

I see that them previous member who wrote of similar symptoms the doctors asked for drug connection - hence my info above. I also see that you are saying seek psychiatric help. Why is this? Apart from what i put above I am otherwise completely ok.

Incidently if chandlera04 is still a member I would like to hear if there has been any improvements/ change in symptoms and how they have been managed.

I would appreciate any help with this as it is very alarming when it happens. Like chandlera04 when it happens I more or less immediately loose the knowledge of the memory that triggered it.
Cheers and thank you very much for any help

|