Question: Feeling of falling while sitting and sweating fingertips

dynabelle - Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 pm

I am a 29 year old female with soem issues with my spine especially the cervical area I have been diagnosed with Klippel Fiel Syndrome which in turned has brought Cervical stenosis and arthritis also bone spurs and some cord compression. Within the last few moments I have experienced this feeling as if I was just about to fall but I never do. Sometimes they come in clusters mostly when Im sitting down at work (data entry) More recently my fingertips tend to get sweaty sometimes just a little but it has gotten so bad that it wet up everything I touched an ekg was done and my blood sugar was tested it all came out clear. I have more testing to do now and wondered if anyone had a clue what could be going on. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:54 am

There is a phenomenon, controversial in some quarters, known as cervical vertigo. I happen to believe it's a legitimate condition, and if so, you certainly would be a candidate and it would explain your sensation of verging of falling, since vertigo generally causes this sort of sensation.

While you can be tested for this specifically, a simple way to determine if you're suffering from some form of vertigo would be to try a dose of meclazine (available over the counter generically or as Bonine or as Dramamine non-drowsy formula). If this works and there are no noxious side effects (this would be unusual, but on occasion it makes some people a little drowsy), it might be a good way to manage the problem at least until the underlying cause can be corrected if possible.

As for the sweating fingertips, this sounds like it is probably due to some disturbance of the autonomic nervous system, which may also be related to the cervical problem in some way.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please keep us updated.

|