Question: numb fingers and hand for days how severe?

gacracker2008 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 pm

my pinky finger and finger next to it and that lower portion of my hand has been numb(like when your hand or limb falls asleep)tingly kinda but its been like that for about 3 days it subsides and gets a little more intense periodically. i noticed today i have a nerve or muscle around my elbow if at certain times i push it just right it will send like a shock effect down my arm
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:51 am

User avatar Hi -

You're having a problem with compression or entrapment of the ulnar nerve, where it passes over the "funny bone" in the elbow (thus the bone name humorus -- or maybe it's the other way around). At any rate, the ulnar nerve passes across the elbow and is often entrapped there by some minor trauma that goes unremembered after the fact. If the problem doesn't resolve on its own in a few days you really should have it checked, as over time, if it stays this way, you'll not only be dropping things and missing keystrokes on the computer, but the nerve can begin to lose some of its facility and the numbness can become permanent. It's well worth a visit to a neurologist, who would probably do a nerve conduction test to help determine the exact location of the entrapment. Usually, if it doesn't correct on its own, some very minor surgery to put the nerve back in its channel can resolve the problem once and for all.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and follow up with us as needd.

|