News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: numb fingers and hand for days how severe?

gacracker2008 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 pm

my pinky finger and finger next to it and that lower portion of my hand has been numb(like when your hand or limb falls asleep)tingly kinda but its been like that for about 3 days it subsides and gets a little more intense periodically. i noticed today i have a nerve or muscle around my elbow if at certain times i push it just right it will send like a shock effect down my arm
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:51 am

User avatar Hi -

You're having a problem with compression or entrapment of the ulnar nerve, where it passes over the "funny bone" in the elbow (thus the bone name humorus -- or maybe it's the other way around). At any rate, the ulnar nerve passes across the elbow and is often entrapped there by some minor trauma that goes unremembered after the fact. If the problem doesn't resolve on its own in a few days you really should have it checked, as over time, if it stays this way, you'll not only be dropping things and missing keystrokes on the computer, but the nerve can begin to lose some of its facility and the numbness can become permanent. It's well worth a visit to a neurologist, who would probably do a nerve conduction test to help determine the exact location of the entrapment. Usually, if it doesn't correct on its own, some very minor surgery to put the nerve back in its channel can resolve the problem once and for all.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and follow up with us as needd.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here