Question: Widespread Skin Burning Sensation

yankees11 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Age: 27
Sex: Male
Past diagnoses: 2000 - Benign Fasciculation Syndrome
Past surgeries: None
Family history: None
Current medications: Diovan (slightly high blood pressure)

Thank you for your time. Years ago I was diagnosed with BFS for muscle twitches, although that has mostly passed as the years have gone one. I also experience what would be considered a type of "ice-pick" headaches, once or twice a day lasting 5 - 10 seconds each. However, over the past few months I seem to be experiencing different neurological symptoms. This is the third time that I've got waves of burning sensation throughout my skin. My stomach, lower back, shins, forehead and arms feel as if I have a severe sunburn. I has experienced this for about a week last month, and for several days back in November. It has returned again for the last few days.

I saw a dermotologist, who ruled out dry skin or another skin condition, and suggested it was neurological. I also saw a rheumatologist who after running some blood tests for thyroid, lyme, etc, had nothing to report. My neurologist ordered a brain MRI and Cat Scan, which identified a fibrous dysplasia near the brain stem, which the doctor said is nothing to worry about or non related. I'm wondering if someone can help me identify what the skin sensations may be caused by. Could it be a benign condition similar/stemming from the BFS? It's incredibly uncomforatable both to live with it, as well as to not know what is causing it. Even a suggestion to bring up to the Neuro would be greatly appreciated. Other than this, i'm in good health.

Thanks in advance.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:03 am

While I certainly don't know what the underlying cause of this is, it's probably related to the previous BFS and now the occasional "icepick" headaches, which are probably due to an irritated cranial nerve. It sounds as though you may have some diffuse neurological problem which is causing polyneuritis or peripheral neuropathy and which occasionally changes or evolves. There is, of course, idiopathis peripheral neuropathy (meaning we don't know what causes it), but sometimes an underlying cause can be found, and this is often virally mediated.

That's about as far as I can go with what you've provided so far. Hopefully this will at least be useful to you when discussing the problem with your neurologist.

Good luck, and please follow up with us as needed.

|