Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache, Vomitting, Adversion to light and now Dizziness

lizzylyon - Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:57 pm

I am asking this question on behalf of my 4 year old son.
He has been experiencing headaches often with vomiting and complains about light.
This has been happening for 7 weeks now where he suffers for 4 days and then is OK for 3 with some days being extremely bad (like today) and others just a quick headache and vomit then he is fine for the rest of the day. This began 1 1/2 weeks after he caught a 2 day flu in which he had fever, vomiting and aches. He has not suffered from fever during the episodes that followed. In the past 2 days he has now added dizziness as a complaint and screams at the top of his lungs when the headaches come on. We are currently in a poor financial status and are awaiting approval into a low-cost insurance program so we have been waiting to take him to the doctor however my husband and I are both terrified.
What could be causing these symptoms? I have tried researching this and removing any possible "triggers" I can think of, but I am still unable to help my son.
 Patricia Kay, RN - Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:26 am

You need to contact your pediatrician as this could be serious. If you cannot afford to go to your pediatrician go to your nearest emergency room so he can be evaluated by a doctor. Do not waste time on the internet.
 Jannah G., RN - Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 am

Hello Lizzylyon,

First thing I am going to recommend, VERY HIGHLY, is that your son needs to be evaluated by a physician ASAP. The symptoms that your son are experiencing should not be taken lightly.

I understand that you are in the works of organizing an insurance plan, but in the mean time, please consider an ER visit.

It is not uncommon for children to experience aches and pains, and sometimes headaches (associated with sinus congestion) during something like the flu that he has just experienced, but it is not something that should be getting progressively worse and more frequent.

Although your son may be suffering from something simple, and viral in nature, these symptoms are linked with many, many minor, and not so minor things. The only definitive answer you can get is with tests that can only be provided if seen by a Doctor.

In the meantime, please be mindful of his symptoms, vomiting on and off for weeks can really deplete a child of their much needed hydration, watch for any changes in behavior or mental status, treat the aches and pains, and most importantly, please see a Pediatrician.

Good luck! Wish you both well!

P.S.: It wouldn't hurt to ask for a vision exam on your little one too ;)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:02 pm

I don't know where you live but in the U.S. most low income families can get approved for Medicaid or CHIP programs. You mentioned waiting for word on the low cost plan so I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not but you might call your local health department and inquire about low cost clinics that might be available.

You mentioned that he had been ill with flu and some viruses do remain in the body to cause other problems. Be sure the doctor you see has the complete history of his symptoms. They will take into consideration possible causes for the infection relating to your locale because some illnesses such as Lyme disease are native to certain areas and can be hard to diagnose. The complete picture will include this information along with a physical exam and labs.

I agree with the other professionals that you need to find a doctor to see your child. The emergency room is an expensive option but it is always available so if other resources fail you, that would be your route to care. Children sometimes need medical attention sooner than adults because their little bodies can sometimes have a harder time fighting infection.

Good luck and best regards.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 pm

User avatar Hello Lizzylyon,

Your son's symptoms make me suspicious of migraine headaches. I agree with my colleagues that he needs to be evaluated for this. A full neurological exam is needed since there are much more significant things in the possible list of causes. His doctor will want to look for subtle physical exam findings that may be an indication for further evaluation.

If it is migraines, there are some very effective treatments. The link to the recent cold may be that often viruses can trigger migraines.

Debbie is correct that there are often clinics that can see pt.'s without insurance on a free or reduced fee scale. Your health department can help you find these if needed.

|