News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: How serious is throbbing headache following a severe cold?

Angelcity - Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:42 pm

I have been sick since last Friday with chough, chills,fever, boby aches. Most symtoms started going away yesterday(wednesday) but midday I started getting a painful headache on the left side of my head. It is a constant pain that has not gone away. If I stand to fast, bite something hard or bend over I get a sharp, trobbing pain that makes me want to pull my head off. No pain medication I've taken has helped. Is this just part of my cold or could it be something else? How long is too long for this to be normal?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 pm

User avatar Hello -

With a severe upper respiratory infection often the sinuses become involved and can cause really severe headaches that are worsened by bending, coughing, etc. This usually goes away within a week. Fever can also cause this symptom. Although it is likely this is the case, if the pain lasts more than a week or if it gets markedly more severe, you should be seen by a doctor at once, and especially if there a rash present. It does sound like typical head pain due to upper respiratory infection and/or fever, so hopefully it's gotten better by now. Please let us know how you're doing.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here