Question: Lightheaded, Cant focus, Drowzy, Deteriated vission

trydon - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:29 pm

Hello, I'm 24 years old and usually pretty healthy apart from a few anxiety problems. However, Last Thursday as i was using the computer and feeling slightly tired, i become very dizzy and extremely tired.

I figured i had low blood sugar so i ate a apple and went to bed. Strangely though i was even dizzy while i laid in bed.

The next morning i still felt slight dizzy when i tried to walk. and noticed i could not focus properly with my eyes, and felt almost like i had the beginning of the flu (headache). However i had no saw throat or cough.

The dizziness didn't really continue but the light headedness has, i find it extremely hard to focus my eyes, i constantly feel drowsy in my eyes no matter what time of day it is. Event hough my body feels fine and not tired at all.

I decided to go to my GP on Monday as i was starting to worry about it a lot and even had panic attacks which i have not experienced since a young age. My GP told me that most of my symptoms at the time where Anxiety/Panic attack related. however said that i could passably have some kind of virus but he did not know. So i was told to have a blood test and an ECG. Which i had on Wednesday. However i will have to wait a week for the results.

I constantly wake up at night and worry what is going on with me, its causing me great amounts of stress and anxiety. i feel like I'm about to have a panic attack all the time. and those are not helping one bit.

If anyone can give me peace of mind or knows what it could be, i would very much appreciate it. Thank you

PS:
I don't take any Meds apart from the ocasional Ibuprofen for tension headakes i sometiems get.
Also i would say my longvision has become about 20-30% more blury since this event.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 am

User avatar Hi -

The original problem was possibly unrelated to the subsequent symptoms. It sounds as though you started out having a spell of vertigo, possibly because of the position you'd been sitting in over a period of time (somtimes cervical vertigo is the culprit, but since you also had some visual disturbance I suspect this was inner ear-related). Labyrinthitis (inflammation of the inner ear) is often a virally-caused problem.

The subsequent symptoms may be a continuation of the same thing, but could also be something different and quite possibly anxiety-related, since anxiety can often cause unwitting hyperventilation, which can, in turn, cause lightheadedness and other odd symptoms.

Difficulty focusing the eyes, along with lightheadedness suggests this may also be a variation of vertigo, however. There are specific tests to confirm this and hunt down the underlying cause.

The one thing I'm perplexed about is why an EKG would take a week to get read and interpreted if the doctor was present at the time it was done. At any rate, that result should have been delivered to you by now. I'm curious as to how that came out and if any other neurological tests or studies are planned.

If you are, in fact, suffering from benign positional vertigo (BPV) there are medications which can be very effective in controlling the symptoms until the problem resolves.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up here as needed.

|