Question: Numbness, Sharp pains, Muscle spasms, twitching, ang fatigue

Going_Crazy - Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:03 am

I am a 29 year old female who is going crazy because something is wrong with me and I have not been able to figure it out.
Beginning around age 25 I started having sharp pains lasting a few seconds, followed by radiating numbness in various places. The first instance was in my left hip, required steroids and physical therapy for three weeks, and I just woke up in morning feeling normal. I have periodic bouts of pain and numbness in arms, hands, head, and face. The numbness feels like tiny pins sticking in my skin and the pains are intensely sharp but only last a few seconds. It was the pains in my head and face that caused me to seek treatment in 2006 at the local Urgent Care Office. After an MRI, I was referred to a Neurologist, due to a white spot or lesion that was evident. I began to experience sever fatigue as well. The neurologist ran a battery of blood work, which all came back negative, ruling out Lupus and other autoimmune disorders. He also ran and Evoked Potentials test which showed little nerve damage. He began medication treatment, although there was no definitive diagnosis. He suggested that it may be a long process. Having MRI’s every three months and taking, Amantadine for fatigue, Topamax for head pain, Fexeril as a muscle relaxer, and Medrol dose packs as needed. Three days ago I woke up with muscle spasms in the center of my back, the corner of my right lip is twitching, and I experienced vertigo. It takes 2 months to get into the neurologist, so I went to Urgent Care again. I received a double does pack of Medrol, and he increased my Flexril 10mg to 3 times a day. It seems like there is no end in sight, and its very frustrating with no diagnosis. Do you have any advice or any answers?
 solar - Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:14 am

Just a thought since I logged in to look this up too. Has any of the people who've questioned this twitching, numbness, spasms all over the body, been diagnosed with herpes (either one). Herpes, et al diseases that affect the nervous system/immune system causes an imbalance, which triggers a ton of stuff. If you haven't been checked and don't get cold sores/canker sores, get blood tested by a clinic or at your doctors. Also, on that note, see whether you twitch/spasm off the meds you're on and if none, see a naturopath to find out about things like alcalinity in your body, biofeedback (computers, cell phones, TV, et al electronics do fill your system with all this stuff and if there's overload.....). That's what I'm doing. I believe toxins could be the cause and that could be from many things in the environment, what we eat and the drugs, medical or not, that we're on. Still, I'm curious to see what you find since my neuro couldn't isolate the twitches even though they did that test where they put me to sleep while hooked up to that machine that records brain signal, etc... I twitched like crazy, but nothing. I noticed I don't twitch as much when I do a cleanse, which you should do once every season...I find myself doing it more often and for less time and I recommend it...cleanse for one week every other month and see what happens... Still, let me know what the doctors are saying, eh...and hope I have been helpful...
 Going_Crazy - Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Yes I have been tested for Herpes, as I mentioned most all auto immune disorders have been ruled out. I appreciate your response, maybe it will help others. As for me I am still searching
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:12 pm

User avatar HI there -

I was just directed to your posts here, and have a thought or two about what may be going on, although we are of course incapable of diagnosing anyone on line. Our goal here is to try and figure out what may be the problem and point the patient in the right direction (or if there is already a diagnosis, perhaps explain what it means).

That being said, your symptoms sound like they could be the result of any one of several things. It would be a great help if you could tell us where the MRI was directed and where the white lesion turned up. If it were your brain or spinal cord then this could well be the early signs of multiple sclerosis (MS), and it may well be anyway, as there are other similarities. Since MS is not (at this time, anyway) thought to be an autoimmune disease, those tests only ruled out one area of possibility. Diagnosis MS is often a long, drawn out process, too, because it shows up in such diverse ways and at varying rates of speed. It's not yet out of the question.

Another thing which could be causing this is virally mediated polyneuritis, something that sometimes happens inexplicably, even without any help from the herpes virus specificially. In fact, herpetic neuropathy is usually concentrated in one or two very distinct areas. This seems more generalized. If the problem is either of the first two suggestions then you're on an appropriate (or at least not inappropriate) medication in the form of steroidal meds.

The final possibility I can think of is idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, which is often difficult to distinguish from polyneuritis, except that it doesn't respond as well to steroids, the cause is sometimes never determined, and usually it is treated symptomatically rather than therpeutically, usually with pain blocking medications.

I think your doctor is correct, that this could take a while to sort itself out, if that's even possible. That's a realistic assessment. A certain per centage of these cases resolve on their own before anyone is able to come up with a concrete diagnosis. If it turns out to be recurring then there's a better chance of eventually pinning it down, but personally I'd rather have it just go away.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please keep us updated and follow up with us as needed.
 Going_Crazy - Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:41 pm

John,
Thank you so much for your post. The MRI I had done was an MRI of the Brain, and the lesion appeared near the occipital horn?? Anyway I appreciate your thoughts. MS one of many of the diagnosises that was discussed with me by my nuerologist. I am like you I would just like it to go away all together. over the past two years I have had about 7 occurances that require steriod treatment. One of the problems that I feel like I am facing is that it takes two months to see this nuerologist, unless its an extreme emergency. So I am treated with steriods, until the symptoms resolve. I don't think that we are in a forward motion process in comming up with a diagnosis.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41 pm

User avatar Unfortunately, diseases and disorders which resemble MS are often very slow in being unraveled. It would seem you have some grounds for a diagnosis of MS, but as is so often the case with the specialites now, unless there's some sort of crisis it is difficult to get a prompt followup appointment, so often the patient has to live with a lot of discomfort and uncertainty in the meantime. I don't really know why this is so often the case, but it seems to be the rule rather than the exception right now.

If this does turn out to be MS it may or may not go away, but MS generally does run a chronic and relapsing course, so while it may go into remission (even if it isn't MS proper) then may flare up later on for a while. This seems to be the course it's taken so far, and the one good thing about this is that once MS (again, using that for the sake of discussion only) takes a form (chronic, relapsing or progressive) it tends to stick with it, so if you do have MS, you may have one of the forms more easy to deal with -- although "easy" is certainly a relative term.

Good luck to you and please do keep us updated.

|