Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Pain in right side of head the the back and bottom

Alexy - Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I have been experiencing a pain in the back of my head on the lower right hand side, i was wondering if this could be because of something to do with my neck rather than a headache, because my head doesnt tend to throb or anything? I have had this now on/off for about a week, thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 pm

This could be a neck problem, although it's difficult to tell from a distance and with little information and no imaging studies to look at. There are a lot of nerves which travel from the base of the skull and the top cervical vertabrae which operate in the area where the musculature of the neck/shoulder begin, and these can become inflamed or irritated and cause low, back-of-the-head pain on the affected side. If careful movement of your head in circles causes the pain to increase or if doing this makes you dizzy, this is a good possibility. There are also other apparatus in the area -- mastoid process (behind the ear), tendons, etc., that can cause this sort of localized head pain. If it continues or gets more intense, it definitely should be evaluated. As it is now, especially if head movement worsens it, it sounds like an orthopedic problem. That doesn't make the headache go away, but may help you narrow down the possible causes. Consider how you sleep (on that side?), how you sit at a computer, etc. Faulty posture can often cause this sort of pain.

Again, if it continues and/or becomes worse, please have yourself evaluated by a doctor. It sounds, however, more like a postural-related nerve or muscle problem.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|