News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: What is the cause of Ulnar neuropathy?

yellowbirdflying - Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:39 pm

I went to my doctor with pain in my wrist, arm, and shoulder. I also had numbness and tingling in my pinky and part of my ring finger. The pain in my wrist and shoulder was diagnosed as tendonitis, and the traveling numbness/electrical sensations was attributed to ulnar neuropathy. I was given cortisone and have been taking prescription aleve for the tendonitis, but the pain has persisted and I've begun to drop everything I try to hold. I was wondering if the neuropathy is being caused by the tendonitis...(like pressure on the nerve) and, what, if anything can be done. Should I see a neurologist or go back to my internist? Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:08 am

User avatar Hello -

You'll by far do best with this by seeing a neurologist. Ulnar neuropathy rarely improves on its own and often requires physical therapy (PT) or sometimes surgical intervention.

While the tendonitis is likely tied in some way to the nerve impingement (may have been caused by the same mechanism of injury) there are often "double crush" injuries where ulnar neuropathy is involved, and this can cloud the issue, since many doctors will see the symptoms of the dual injuries as one entitiy. Very often they are not. However, it is possible the tendon is swollen and could be pressing on the nerve. Only a neurologist can figure this all out, often by means of some tests such as nerve conduction testing any electromyelogram (both usually done at one sitting). This often can help locate the impingement and determine the course of treatment.

If left untreated, at best, the problem will likely stay as it is, but it also can get a lot worse with time. To avoid permanent damage to the nerve it's best to get this resolved early on. Sometimes some simple-but-specific exercises can resolve it, sometimes PT, sometimes surgical release of the nerve. Whatever it takes is worth the trouble.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up here as needed and keep us updated as well.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here