Question: Nearly 3 years of chronic dizziness/tremor/vision disturbanc

katie619 - Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:59 am

PLEASE HELP! I have had more then enough of these unusual and unexplainable symptoms. About 3 yrs ago ( I was 21) I began to expierence a very bad dizziness combined with a vertigo. I was prescribed valuim and it did take the vertigo and dizziness feeling away. I decided to get off the medicine as my dr. said it was only temporary to help with some sinus swelling. The dizziness then got very severe and consistent for many months, then weird visual disturbances began. Double vision ( on top of eachother, not side to side) and spots and flashing, patterns also look as though they are moving. Then I did see the ENT a few times, they suggested balance therapy. Then one day I was having some very bad eye flashing mainly in the left eye and then I lost most of my vision for about 15 minutes. I went to the ER and the ct scan showed nothing major just an undiscovered sinus polyp. I did see an ophlomolgist, she said everything was fine. After a few more months, my dr decided I may have MS ( That was scary). So I went and had an MRI done. The MRI came back only showing a swollen mucus cell. I was prescribed some very strong antibiotic and sent back to the ENT. During the antibiotic course, I did feel alot less dizzy for 4 days. After all of this, it had been a yr and a half frustration. I then began to feel shakey. I also expeirence hearts beats that are irregular, I seen the cardiologist a few times, and those tests came back good, he said my heart did skip a few beats but that was it. Thinks I may have SVT episodes as it runs in my family. I then became pregnant with my 2nd. Duing the pregnancy I had a few months break from the severe dizziness, and then it came back strong around the 4th month, as did the abnormal heart beats. I decided to try the balance therapy, the ENT thought I was having BPPV. Did not work . Both heart and dizziness/lightheadness intensified toward the end of pregnancy. My Daughter and I suffered from a placental abruption during the 36th week. She was born via Emergency C-section. This was so odd to me, my previous oregnancy 7 yrs earlier was full term and perfectly fine. I can't help but think maybe this odd complication is related to my underlying illness. After the birth, I was feeling decent. the dizziness wasn't severe. The shakes were something I felt but did not see. 3 weeks after the baby, we were in a car accident. we were fine, but shortly after the accident at the ER the eye blindness came back for 15 minutes. The doctor said she belived it was migraines. I followed up with an ophlomalogist, he said my vision was 20 / 30 and I had a few floaters, he believe the other eye disturbances are neurological. The shakiness got real severe and very noticable, I even stopped getting my nails done because of the embaressment. Then I seen a neurologist, he insisted it was not MS and he also belives it is migraines and he thinks I am developing a tremor ( I am only 24, this is odd). He prescribed verapamil. The medicine did nothing for me. My primary then wanted to try topomax. I decided no, because the I was told by the neurologist that the valium I took will take a way dizziness for other reasons but not migraines. Knowing it did take the dizziness away, I felt the topomax wasn't for me and I do not belive I have migraines. Currently, I am expiernceing a feeling of not being where I am, kind of like a spaced out feeling, I can be surrounded by people and things, but yet I am unaware, like I am tunned out. Then I began having hot flashes and sweat attacks, I was smoking for a few months after my car accident, I did quit 2 weeks ago, since then the shakiness has gotten better, still there though. I am also having twitching in my neck and unusual skin irratation. with any kind of pressure, my skin will swell , get hot and be very itchy. I have had a thumping mainly in my right ear for a few years. It is much faster then a heart beat pulse and inconsistent in it's thump. about 4 months ago, I noticed I am slurring more and I avoid speaking words with the letter -B-,, I find this to screw up everything I am saying when I get to a -B- sound. When this all first began, I was on a road trip and we made a stop, this is when the dizziness was first felt. The a few days following that I got a horrible neck pain. The neck pain went on for months on and off. It was like a stiff neck every couple of weeks. Then about 10 months after the first neck pain, I had a very severe pain in the neck and was unable to move it, the pain then traveled to my left shoulder. It was very bad, I was taking ibuprofan every 5 hours ( this is big for me, I hate pills). After the pain went away, we then tried to concieve and I got pregnant and haven;t had the pain since. so I have had a very intense work up by 2 doctors, 2 neurologist, and ENT, 2 ophlomologist, cardiologist, and an OBGYN. Today I went to my primary doctor, she told me there is nothing else she can do for me if I am not willing to take medication for anxiety. I am at my wits end. I want so badly to avoid taking this medication. It has m=nothing to do with me feeling weak in others eyes or any other cliche issue most have with a diagnosis like mine. I just can't shake the feeling that soemthing else is causing all of this. I know I have seen many doctors, but maybe I haven't been seen by one who really cares. This is ruining my life. I hope that someone on here can help. I have had some difficulties this last year, but on the same token this has been the best time of my life. I donlt think anxiety is the answer, not this not me!! Please help! Thank you so very much. ~Katie
 Ariadne - Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi! It sounds as if you are having a lousy time of it. I suspect the underlying problem is the vertigo/dizziness. Vertigo can make you feel incredibly anxious because you lose control and without a proper diagnosis that anxiety builds up and may lead to your other symptoms. I would recommend a vestibular specialist. In the UK we have vestibular physicians - I don't think these specialists exist in the US but an ENT surgeon with a special interest in balance may be your best bet.

Sorry to intervene here - I am a visitor, but also a doctor with a special interest and your symptoms sounded familiar.

See what other replies you get -

All the best

Ariadne

|